Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decision between .380 & .38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Decision between .380 & .38?

Ok....I know there are many great CC guns out there, but for me I am down to two guns:

1 - Ruger LCP
2 - Bersa .380

Not looking for a 9mm or 40 or a 45 ACP. what are your thoughts on these two guns? I know I have to ultimatley decide for myself, but thought I would gather some outside perspective as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You mean LCR not LCP don't you?A LCR.38+P definitly wins in stopping power over a Bersa.380,but you lose 2 or 3 rounds with the LCR.I personally would choose the LCR myself.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
How does the thread title relate to the question? Both the excellent Ruger and that pot metal Bersa shoot the same round.
Really? A .380 is the same as a .38 revolver round? Humm... And the thread title is the same as the question I am asking.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
You mean LCR not LCP don't you?A LCR.38+P definitly wins in stopping power over a Bersa.380,but you lose 2 or 3 rounds with the LCR.I personally would choose the LCR myself.
Yes....thank you I fat fingered the keys.....LCR. I am leaning the LCR way since I have a GP100 so I can shoot .38's from both.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Ok....I know there are many great CC guns out there, but for me I am down to two guns:

1 - Ruger LCP
2 - Bersa .380

Not looking for a 9mm or 40 or a 45 ACP. what are your thoughts on these two guns? I know I have to ultimatley decide for myself, but thought I would gather some outside perspective as well.
No, the LCP and the Bersa shoot the same round, the .380acp.

He asked if you meant the LCR?

I would go with the ruger lcr .38+p.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I love my LCR---I mean Elsie-Arrrr!
Great carry piece, under a pound loaded. Very smooth DA trigger, feels great, shoots great.
If you go with the LCR, I dont think you'll ever regret it.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

Liked 1638 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I have a 38 snubby that is rated +p. I also have the Bersa Thunder 380 concealed. I recently did a comparison in wet phone books just to see the difference. There was a big one. I was not shooting +p. I was shooting 125 grain jhp hornady ammo in the 38 and 90 grain jhp hand loads in the 380. I could not find factory loads for the 380 anywhere. I loaded them to the max specs in my hodgden book. I don't have a cronograph. The results were surprising. The 380 penetrated 1 1/2 inches further and expanded to about the same size. I am sure the +p would perform better. But it is not a 357 mag. Not by a long shot. I have started carrying my Bersa instead. I would rather have 9 shots with deeper penetration then 5 with less. The wound channels were very similar. A lot of power is lost because of the 2 inch barrel.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

An outside perspective would be which ever one YOU feel the most comfortable carrying, shooting, and fits your hand the best. One has 5 shots and shoots + p ammo. The other uses 9 rounds. They are both small, close quarter defensive pistols and IMHO, which ever you choose, being very proficient in your round placement into a target would be the most critical factor of carrying both.

Just my .02 pennies worth, keep the change.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Both are good handguns. Buy the one you feel most comfortable and confident with. Unless you get into a running gun battle, capacity shouldn't really matter that much.
It's nice to have more ammunition, but ultimately it comes down to you and how you perform with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

ive got 3 bersa's in .380 2 are thunder+ 15 rounders and one is a thunder in 7 round mag version. they are very very accurate. ive tried the ruger and found it hard to control and wasnt very comfy. i think its smaller size and my larger hands has alot to do with my dislike for the ruger.

i would strongly suggest shooting any 380 first before you buy one. shouldnt be too hard to find a rental gun of that sort you can try. 380's shoot very differently from gun to gun. my 15 and 7 round being the same gun in every other respect down to the slides being interchangeable shoot differently as in felt recoil and muzzle flip.

there is no "pot metal" in the bersa's anymore than the rugers. the fit and finish is little different from one to the other.

try before you buy