Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decent semi- automatic handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

How ever, I do believe a .357 is a bit much, though

Last edited by TopekanSurvivalist; 07-12-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Given the information you've provided I would recommend either a 9mm, .40, or a .45 ACP. For 9mm I recommend Ruger, Sig Saurer, Kahr, and Glock, and pretty mucht the same manufacturers for .40. For .45 ACP I would recommend Glock, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and Sig Saurer. If you might consider a revolver I would recommend Smith and Wesson in a .357 magnum, because you can load .38 special, .38 special +p, and .357 magnum.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

Regarding punch and power, what would you recommend? .40 or a .45 ACP?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

think about a good 22rifle. learn the basics and build up your skill level and have some fun to boot. i know several homes defended with a 22. use the extra money on good locks and your college fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
[/B] You will look to spend at least $800 to $900 or more on a good defensive pistol.
we don't shop in the same stores

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well the .40 will have less power than the .45 ACP, but it offers a greater magazine capacity and is usually less expensive. The .45 ACP will offer more power, but sacrifice magazine capacity depending on the manufacturer and type of firearm you choose. I personally would choose the .45 ACP, but I only carry my .45 ACP firearm in the fall and winter. One thing I recommend you do is see if there are some local gun ranges that have rental programs so you can try some of the various firearms and calibers available.

If you can handle the .45 ACP I would say go for that, but if you find it a little to strong then I would say go for either the .40 or 9mm. Another thing to note is the .40 provides more versatility than the 9mm or .45 ACP, because there are a lot more bullet weights to choose from.

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #16

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopekanSurvivalist View Post
In Kansas there is no age limit to own, However, your " legal guardian" must be present to the purchase. As long as I don't have it on my person, I am legally allowed to own a firearm. It may be different in other states, but Kansas is rather, "laid back " with firearm laws. I have already spoke to my mother about it. As far as she's concerned, if I can afford it, she will help me to the process of buying it.
Did not know that!

From NRA-ILA :: Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

Quote:
Kansas - "It is unlawful for persons under 18 to possess a firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches unless such persons are: (1) in attendance at a hunter`s or firearms safety course, (2) target shooting at an established range, (3) engaging in an organized competition involving the use of such firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organization exempt from federal income tax pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code of 1986 which uses firearms as a part of such performance, (4) hunting or trapping with a valid license, (5) traveling to or from any activity described in (1) through (4) above with the firearm being unloaded, secured and outside immediate access, (6) on real property under control of their parents, legal guardian or grandparent, with permission to possess such firearm, or (7) at their parents` or legal guardian`s residence with permission to possess such firearm for self-defense."
Learn somthin' new everyday.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #17

6-7 that is exactly what I had previously said.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #18

@ firearms4ever, thank you, sir, I do appreciate your assistance.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You're very welcome. Keep us in the loop about what you choose .

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #20

No problem man! I also have a mosin nagant in the mail, ( my first ordered weapon). It's going through our local gun dealer. Alot of paperwork but, hey, I'm getting a gun.