Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decent semi- automatic handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decent semi- automatic handgun.

Hello everyone! I have recently found a want to purchase a firearm for home protection. I would like a beginners type semi- auto pistol. I am 13 however, I want to keep my mother and brother safe for obvious reasons. Could anyone help me find a budget worthy sidearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Assuming you're legit, you've got 5-8-years to figure it out. Minimum age is 18 to own, 21 to buy from a dealer.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I suggest you talk with your parents about this, because given your age it's something your parents must decide.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4471 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

during the next 8 years you got penty of time to get your parents to take ya to a youth hunter safety course. take your time you got a ways to go yet

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First, what knfxda stated above is right on the money. Second, budget and self defense weapon generally do not go well together. You will look to spend at least $800 to $900 or more on a good defensive pistol, so you have 8 years to save your money; too.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #6

In Kansas there is no age limit to own, However, your " legal guardian" must be present to the purchase. As long as I don't have it on my person, I am legally allowed to own a firearm. It may be different in other states, but Kansas is rather, "laid back " with firearm laws. I have already spoke to my mother about it. As far as she's concerned, if I can afford it, she will help me to the process of buying it.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #7

Also my " budget" is not exactly low. I was saying so as to find a weapon that doesn't " break the bank". I do have $1000 to use.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Colt, Sprinfield Armory, Nighthawk, or Kimber 1911, .45APC.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since it's ok with you mother and it's legal in Kansas I'll make some suggestion, but I need to know have you ever fired a handgun before and if so what caliber?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #10

@ Firearms4ever, yes I have. Snub- nose .357(not sure of the manufacturer), a Sig 9mm and a .22 ruger.