DA/SA... What's not to love? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > DA/SA... What's not to love?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2159 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 804

I shoot a SA so much that I have anything with a trigger on it cocked before I have it leveled. The only way I would consider shooting a gun in DA is if someone was on top of me beating the stuffing out of me.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #52

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I prefer sao, but da/sa is my second favorite. There are differences between manufacturers as well. Bersa's da/sa sucks donkey nuts, the first pull is disgustingly long and I won't do one because of that. However the couple of Taurus' I've shot with da/sa were hardly noticeable between different pulls. I loved the PT709, fantastic trigger system. The S&W 3913 and alike has a decent first pull length, but still to long for me.

These kinds of things can only be generalized because even tho I say I loathe dao, I can't say that for all. Love Glock and Ruger SR series.

I do understand why most say its best to have same pull for every shot, but it just makes getting used to it easier. Better is a completely relative term.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

The one major benny of the first shot being DA is that it does much to avoid an accidental/negligent/dumbass discharge by offering a little resistance to the trigger pull. My 1911's and PARA-ORDNANCE 1911-type guns are so touchy that when the safety is off all it takes is a slight touch of the trigger and there is a round headed downrange. Although I do carry the '11s I feel more at ease carrying one of my DA/SA pieces for that reason.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #54

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
The one major benny of the first shot being DA is that it does much to avoid an accidental/negligent/dumbass discharge by offering a little resistance to the trigger pull.
Yuuuuuup....!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6615 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6281

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I shoot a SA so much that I have anything with a trigger on it cocked before I have it leveled. The only way I would consider shooting a gun in DA is if someone was on top of me beating the stuffing out of me.
John, that is the point of learning DA shooting. Under extreme stress, you're going to draw and pull the trigger. Every time. so you should be familar, and accurate, when you draw and pull the trigger.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #56

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone one else noted that many of the popular SA/DA guns with a decocker actually drops the hammer to a half-cock position?

Therefore, you're not really shooting it from a true double-action. The first pull is more like a "single and a half" action pull.

So then if, say, a H&K has an advertised DA pull of 4.5 pounds, is it actually lighter than that when firing it from the decocked (half cock) position?

Last edited by misterballistic; 12-07-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #57

I don't know if it's because I dislike the grip shape on a 1911 so much I have rarely shot one, or just because almost all the guns I've ever owned have been conventional DA/SA, but I never had a problem with the DA to SA transition, but a friend of mine has a lot of problems with it. I don't get it. He carries some sort of compact 1911 that looks very pretty, and costs a lot. Every time I've seen him shoot it, he has some sort of problem with FTFs. And he's betting his life using it because he has problems with DA/SA transition? He had a CZ P01 that was rock solid, and he sold it. Well, I guess he's got the first shot for sure...

Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #58
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

i actually practice my da first shot pull transitioning to sa with da/sa guns. its better than carrying a revolver where all the pulls are that long heavy da type. since i practice it a lot its no big deal to me. i tend to carry whatever gun type in my safe strikes my fancy as guns that dont function dont stick around.

now i have had a love hate affair with the berreta 92fs since before the military adopted it starting with a taurus 92af selling it, then getting a berreta 92f then selling it, then getting issued one then buying another 92fs and selling it and currently thinking about getting one of the new improved ones. none of the selling had anything to do with them not performing but more with the 9mm itself.

the ones issued in the military were utter junk and it was a very long time until i got another which turned out to be the same quality level. i have been looking at the new 92fs m9a1 and the 92a1 as i have always liked the looks of the gun.

anyway i dont feel hindered anymore by caliber after getting into 380's and becoming a much bettter shot than i used to be. maybe its time to try another 92.

the da/sa thing is a bit safer i think than carrying some other guns as it does take a lot more effort to get it to go off. it does take a lot more training to get used to the transition. right now i can put my two shot da/sa transition strings side by side with 2 shot sa strings and cant tell which is which.

if your going to carry da/sa or sa only or dao you need to practice practice practice. its neither good or bad just different.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #59

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i second this. i shoot my guns a lot. i dryfire a lot. i feel confident with my da autos and my sa. both styles are second nature to me. it takes a concious effort on my part not to swipe the safety off when i casually pick up my 1911's. swiping the safety is an automatic reflex to me. i often find myself having to re-engage the safety just picking one up off the nightstand.
I do the same thing with my 1911. When I shoot IDPA I dont even think about the safety. I pull it from the holster and the next thing I know there are holes in the target. I carry a lot of different guns. But the 1911 is the only one with an actual safety. Everything else is either DAO or DA/SA.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #60

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

My sig P250 is DA only and I chose that to be my CC peice because of it being DA only. It gives me a second to think and make sure I want to pull the trigger.