DA/SA... What's not to love? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > DA/SA... What's not to love?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #31
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
WDB, I agree 100% that with proper motivation and training it can be a non-issue. However when addressing issues on a thead like this, I consider the population to be like that of a class of recruits:

5% or less are squared away and need little help (if any)

30% have a sound basis and are willing to listen

35% have a sound basis and won't listen, but will reluctantly accept your teachings, but claim they figured it out on their own.

30% will not listen, and can not be taught.

I speak to that 65% in the middle.
Point, glad we cleared that up.

Give a shout out the few Admin that invited you to FTF, they will be happy to see your on board.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3064 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I have purposely stayed out of this thread. I find that with proper training (or lack of proper training), any firearm can be deadly.

I carry the 1911 (C&L) most of the time. I carry a DA revolver at times (and shoot it DA, no thumb cocking). I also carry a H&K PSP P7 at times (squeeze cocking).

I feel confident with anything I carry because of the practice I apply to each firearm.

IMO, it is dangerous to "throw the first shot", sometimes that is all you have.

I have one semi-auto that has the DA/SA trigger (PPK/s in .22lr) and use that only for plinking and shoot the mainly in the SA mode.

Bottom line, train with your firearm of choice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #33

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Resurrecting this thread...

What's the thought of carrying DA/SA's which have a half-cock position with the hammer half-cocked?

At half-cock, is the firing pin block still engaged on modern pistols to eliminate the changes of accidental discharge?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterballistic View Post
Resurrecting this thread...

What's the thought of carrying DA/SA's which have a half-cock position with the hammer half-cocked?

At half-cock, is the firing pin block still engaged on modern pistols to eliminate the changes of accidental discharge?
Firing pin blocks only disengage when the trigger is pulled.

My main gun doesn't even have one. Unless your in the habit of droppoing them from great heights or hitting them with hard objects its not a real concern.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Firing pin blocks only disengage when the trigger is pulled.

My main gun doesn't even have one. Unless your in the habit of droppoing them from great heights or hitting them with hard objects its not a real concern.
OK. Then it is relatively safe to carry a DA/SA in half-cock if the pistol allows.

Example: with something like a CZ 75B, you can safely drop the hammer to half-cock by holding the hammer with one hand and clicking and releasing the trigger once with the other hand and then lowering the hammer to the half-cock position (lowering it all the way down is a bit riskier of course since you have to keep the trigger depressed while you lower the hammer all the way down).

Therefore, that's another viable carry option for the often maligned DA/SA? The half-cocked position requires less trigger pull for the first shot and is still relatively safe. Correct?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It may be true that the shorter trigger pull will give you better accuracy, but when you are in a short range life or death fight, I seriously doubt the the double action pull is going to take you off target that much. You aren't shooting at long distances with carefully placed shots, you are getting the bad guy off of you.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #37

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathermarshmallow View Post
It may be true that the shorter trigger pull will give you better accuracy, but when you are in a short range life or death fight, I seriously doubt the the double action pull is going to take you off target that much. You aren't shooting at long distances with carefully placed shots, you are getting the bad guy off of you.
Understandable and, in fact, I agree with you.

I was just making a middle ground hypothesis between those that argue that double-action requires too much effort in terms of a pull, and the other side that say single action requires disengaging the safety which also presents potential risks.

So I was thinking on DA/SA guns that permit half-cock would offer a less double action pull (more like single and a half action pull) and one wouldn't have to worry about disengaging a manual safety. However, it's a very restrictive hypothesis since very few DA/SA guns offer a half cock position with a 1911 type safety. CZ 75B being one of the few.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #38

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

To resurrect an old thread I must admit I changed my mind. I have discovered the 1911 -- there's no going back!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #39

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
da triggers arent very good even in follow up shots. when you have fired a lot of da and sa you will see exactly why tons of folks prefer the 1911 over da and glocks.
I guess that would depend on your training and experience. During my post-revolver police career I carried two S&W semi auto pistols, both of them with the DA/SA platform (mod. 59 & mod. 4006). Perhaps because I was required to carry a revolver (S&W mod. 19) for so many years, the transition to the DA/SA pistols was not difficult for me. Prior to my police service, I was a military firearms instructor, teaching the 1911a1 platform to Naval Aviators headed to Vietnam. I like the 1911 platform and have owned several, but am more comfortable with the S&W DA/SA system.

Personally, I'm able to shoot as well with that platform as with any other. With any design, you want to practice, practice, practice, until getting of a quick and accurate first round is second nature for you.

Today in retirement, my primary carry is a Springfield XD/sc in .40 caliber, but my go-to home defense pistol is a S&W 457, .45acp with DA/SA trigger, with which I continue to qualify (HR-218) and practice regularly.

That's my experience and opinion, your mileage may vary.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #40

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That long creepy trigger on the first shot. 1911 Cocked and locked, only way to go.
Thats why I like my Sig's ....

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556