DA/SA... What's not to love? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > DA/SA... What's not to love?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
I still see a lot of recruits come through with sig 22x SA/DA pistols. You would be surprised how many have the mentality to just put the first one somewhere in center mass and then start going to work with the gun in SA. These are also the same guys who will try to qualify by only firing the gun in SA. Try as we might to convince them that their first shot can be just as accurate (as it should be since it is the FIRST shot), but the recruit knows darn well that it takes 2-3x the trigger pull and see it as 2-3x the work to get a good shot.
I don't know what recruits your are speaking of, all the same you are right I would be surprised with any reasonable traing they can't master something this simple. Please tell me you are not an instructor that can't teach SA to DA shooting.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I don't know what recruits your are speaking of, all the same you are right I would be surprised with any reasonable traing they can't master something this simple. Please tell me you are not an instructor that can't teach SA to DA shooting.
In a class of 40-50 police recruits, 5-7 will have DA/SA Sigs, Smiths, etc. Of those 2 or 3 will have issues with the the DA aspect of the firearm. And will i'm sure you have zero knowledge on the matter, we get roughly 36hours for "firearms training". 12-14 hours is classroom for safety, maintenance, policy. A few hours are spent on dry fire familiarization, presentation. And considerable time is spent on state qual practice. We get very little time to work with recruits as it is. Teaching a 20 something type-A personality gun handling and trying to correct years of bad habit in a few hours is no easy task.

That said, these recruits that have a first-round DA stigma aren't always poor shots overall. When 75% of their rounds fired are in SA, they don't typically receive 1 on 1 instruction.

And when 75% of a class is running Glocks, not much time is devoted to DA/SA shooting.

No where in my posts have I stated that fundamentals can not be taught and issues overcome, but merely my observations of novices that are issued DA/SA guns. Personally, I could care less what a student scores on a 30 round qual so long as he/she can defend him/her self in a fight. The sad reality, that like any institution, we are subject to bureaucracy and state standards carry more weight than it should and the words "Just get them qualified and back to their department" are spoken more often than I care to admit by admin

Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
And will i'm sure you have zero knowledge on the matter,

No where in my posts have I stated that fundamentals can not be taught and issues overcome
Take it with a grain of salt. Some of the guys around here assume you don't know what you're talking about until you've proven yourself. Then they'll give you all the credence your experience deserves. It's comes from having too many posers show up trying to sound like experts.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The Double/Single's first shot will mess with you a bit when you first start using one, at least it did me when I bought my CZ sp-01. I got some good simple advice from the friend I bought it off of.
He told me when getting used to it, he did all his dry fire practice DA. Well "Duh" I thought, why didn't I think of that
After a short while the long and not-so-heavy pull of my CZ became almost second nature. The first shot for me is very smooth now.
I don't fully release the trigger but instead "ride the reset" on subsequent shots, which I learned in my glock days and don't even notice the transition to SA anymore.
My SP-01 is Da/Sa with a manual safety and no decocker, a decocker model would probably take me more time to get used to, but as they're set up now have no problems transitioning from my 1911 to my cz and back again.
Practice, practice, practice

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Take it with a grain of salt. Some of the guys around here assume you don't know what you're talking about until you've proven yourself. Then they'll give you all the credence your experience deserves. It's comes from having too many posers show up trying to sound like experts.
A few of your admins invited me here. I have nothing to gain and everything to give by being here. And from what I have seen, there are many that would benefit from someone who has made a career out of firearms. I'm not about to get into a pissing match with anyone on here, but I will be damned if some clown on the internet is going to question the quality of my work.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
A few of your admins invited me here. I have nothing to gain and everything to give by being here. And from what I have seen, there are many that would benefit from someone who has made a career out of firearms. I'm not about to get into a pissing match with anyone on here, but I will be damned if some clown on the internet is going to question the quality of my work.
That's the magic of the Internet... a pimple faced, 17 yr old, mall ninja can pretend to be an expert (at least for a while). Of course it makes everyone question if the real experts are actually who they say they are.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5519 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

if you wanna train your da /sa pull get a sig mosquito. if you can hit da with that craptastic trigger you got problem with any decent dasa centerfire. if you want to up the anty a bit get a walther ppk/s in 22lr for tons of cheap crappy dasa trigger pulls.

i practice and train with both dasa triggers and my 1911 triggers. i vastly prefer the 1911 but i also carry the bersa thunder around. 7-10 yards all 16 rounds of 380 will be centermass. i can always tell which was the first shot its always a inch or half inch away from the main ragged hole heheh.

im confident with it. just takes some effort to train up a lot of folks arent willing to do it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
In a class of 40-50 police recruits, 5-7 will have DA/SA Sigs, Smiths, etc. Of those 2 or 3 will have issues with the the DA aspect of the firearm. And will i'm sure you have zero knowledge on the matter, we get roughly 36hours for "firearms training". 12-14 hours is classroom for safety, maintenance, policy. A few hours are spent on dry fire familiarization, presentation. And considerable time is spent on state qual practice. We get very little time to work with recruits as it is. Teaching a 20 something type-A personality gun handling and trying to correct years of bad habit in a few hours is no easy task.

That said, these recruits that have a first-round DA stigma aren't always poor shots overall. When 75% of their rounds fired are in SA, they don't typically receive 1 on 1 instruction.

And when 75% of a class is running Glocks, not much time is devoted to DA/SA shooting.

No where in my posts have I stated that fundamentals can not be taught and issues overcome, but merely my observations of novices that are issued DA/SA guns. Personally, I could care less what a student scores on a 30 round qual so long as he/she can defend him/her self in a fight. The sad reality, that like any institution, we are subject to bureaucracy and state standards carry more weight than it should and the words "Just get them qualified and back to their department" are spoken more often than I care to admit by admin
I didn't intend to ruffle your feathers, my point was that sa/da is something with practice and training is not a huge issue. Not going to respond to the zero knowledge comment. I understand your point better considering the time you have with those you train. Imagine how many interweb firearm instructors this forum alone has seen and take my expresion for what it was.....The clown thing hurt but I bet I can manage to continue on.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 12-29-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #29

WDB, I agree 100% that with proper motivation and training it can be a non-issue. However when addressing issues on a thead like this, I consider the population to be like that of a class of recruits:

5% or less are squared away and need little help (if any)

30% have a sound basis and are willing to listen

35% have a sound basis and won't listen, but will reluctantly accept your teachings, but claim they figured it out on their own.

30% will not listen, and can not be taught.

I speak to that 65% in the middle.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That long creepy trigger on the first shot. 1911 Cocked and locked, only way to go.
Your my new friend.

It messes me up.I suppose if you regularly shot a da/sa,you would get used to it,but it throws me off every time i shoot someones Glock or Sig,or XD.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.