Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > DA/SA... What's not to love?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you carry, then you should practice constantly. If you can't master a double action/single action trigger then maybe you shouldn't carry that weapon at all. IMHO...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
If you carry, then you should practice constantly. If you can't master a double action/single action trigger then maybe you shouldn't carry that weapon at all. IMHO...
What he said. I know of too many guys that "write off" that first round if they shoot the first round DA. It goes without saying that this is an awful, awful idea. If you say to yourself:
"I can just thumb the hammer back on my draw.....", you are still adding to the complication of the scenario.

Not to say you can't/shouldn't carry a da/sa gun. Just know that you should invest at least 2x the effort to master two different trigger pulls (or hammer thumbing should you choose). Simpler options exist, but variety is the spice of life.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I doubt many write off the first round, it is how you should practice so you are capable SA or DA. If you are not capable to put the round where it needs to be practice more often or chose another firearm. DA IMHO is the way to go for many shooter, the first trigger pull is more than those that follow but in a time of need not a bad thing. The less you have to concern yourself with in the split second the better IMO. Might be the wrong person to ask as I carry a striker fired pistol most of the time to balance the trigger pull and to maximize my ability in my time of need.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 12-18-2010 at 02:50 AM.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #14

I still see a lot of recruits come through with sig 22x SA/DA pistols. You would be surprised how many have the mentality to just put the first one somewhere in center mass and then start going to work with the gun in SA. These are also the same guys who will try to qualify by only firing the gun in SA. Try as we might to convince them that their first shot can be just as accurate (as it should be since it is the FIRST shot), but the recruit knows darn well that it takes 2-3x the trigger pull and see it as 2-3x the work to get a good shot.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #15

I carry Thunder 380 as a primary right now. I love the gun and the DA/SA is one of the biggest factors that sold me on the weapon. I've practiced quick draw alot and been timed numerous times. I have actually wondered the same thing, so while practicing both methods, I actually carefully holstered my dad's Thunder (before I decided to get mine) and the DA pull didn't slow me down enough to be able to clock a difference. And I didn't have to flip the safety. As a carry piece, I prefer DA or DA/SA.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

DA/SA triggers take a little getting used to. As you can read the average 1911 fan will see this as useless time and energy. I too carry a 1911 a lot of the time but I've been carrying a Sig Sauer 229 too. It's all really muscle memory and once you get the feel down it's not hard to shoot either way.

There's a reason there are so many different types of handguns out there. THere's a whole heapin' helpin' of different people around and they all want what they want from their handgun for any number of reasons. Getting to know more than one type of trigger for me is a good thing. I find it's a lot easier for me to pick something up and be effective with it right off the bat.

Want to try something really funky check out the Para LDA triggers.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

downsouth Likes This 
Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes single action is my favorite operating system. But i own many DA/SA guns and i love them all very much. Their the children i never had lol...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
There's a reason there are so many different types of handguns out there. THere's a whole heapin' helpin' of different people around and they all want what they want from their handgun for any number of reasons.
IMO this is one of the more intelligent comments I have seen at a gun forum! Absolutely you have to take into consideration the context and purpose of the gun and lots of people fail to do this and end up comparing apples to oranges.

For a competition, or race gun, many may prefer a SA only with a very light and consistent trigger pull. In fact, many competition variants are so simplified that many do not even have a firing pin block.

But you don't want a "hair trigger" on a combat/tactical/LE purpose gun -- especially LE. Chances are that if you have your gun out in this environment then you are probably pointing it at someone and the last thing you need is your finger brushing the trigger and taking the guy out before knowing if it's the right guy or not!

This is where DA/SA with a 10lb/5lb pull with a bit of trigger creep, or even DAO, might be a better option in this context.

I see many people complaining about the long trigger pull and resets on combat guns like Berettas, and HK's (talking V3; not LEM). But has it occurred to these people that it is that way by design? It's meant to be used by someone probably wearing thick leather gloves, and under a lot of stress at the time. That heavy pull and reset, and trigger creep, is feedback to the user. It's a way of the gun asking the user, "Are you sure?"

Old 12-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Some people don't advocate it because of the extra step of undoing a safety first which is an extra step. Yes, it's an easy interim step under ideal conditions but one that could be problematic under stress.
The extra step is no more problematic than learning two completely different trigger pulls. One is NOT better than the other. It's all personal preference. Folks may as well debate whether it's better to wear black socks or white ones.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Other than the different trigger pull on the first shot, what's not to like about a DA/SA for personal protection and carry?
Because for carry, you want to take out AS MANY variables as you possibly can. When there is an inconsistency in trigger pulls in a high stress situation (when you don't have the mental ability to focus on that) it can easily reduce accuracy.