Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   DA/SA... What's not to love? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/da-sa-whats-not-love-35631/)

ScottA 12-15-2010 11:13 PM

DA/SA... What's not to love?

Sometime in the last few weeks, I recall someone saying "I wouldn't carry a DA/SA for CCW". That got me scratching my head.

Other than the different trigger pull on the first shot, what's not to like about a DA/SA for personal protection and carry?

Hawg 12-16-2010 12:52 AM

That long creepy trigger on the first shot. 1911 Cocked and locked, only way to go.

JonM 12-16-2010 03:31 AM

i dont have any issue flipping the safety off left handed with my 1911. lots of ambi safeties out there for 1911.

da triggers arent very good even in follow up shots. when you have fired a lot of da and sa you will see exactly why tons of folks prefer the 1911 over da and glocks.

Cnynrat 12-16-2010 03:38 AM

IMHO, there are pros and cons to all of the options (DA, DA/SA, SA only etc.).

The most important thing is whatever you choose you've got to practice, practice, practice until operating that weapon becomes second nature.

misterballistic 12-16-2010 07:43 AM

A single action only 1911 in Condition One is not the ONLY way to go, but one of many ways to go.

Some people don't advocate it because of the extra step of undoing a safety first which is an extra step. Yes, it's an easy interim step under ideal conditions but one that could be problematic under stress.

Sorry, but I don't think the DA on many of the better guns like Sig Sauer, CZ, Beretta, are that bad at all. Not enough to throw out the baby with the bath water by not carrying a SA/DA in "condition 2" double action.

Cock and locked means potentially fumbling with an extra control (usually) with your thumb. Also, if it doesn't have a firing pin block then there's another potential problem.

Condition 2 means just pointing and pulling the trigger. Most modern guns have decockers to safely lower the hammer each and every time so that's not often an issue either.

Some pistols, like the HK's in V3, offer both a decocker and safety so you can decide what works best so it's not an issue.

It's all about options and what style suits you.

General_lee 12-16-2010 04:05 PM

Personally I like the idea of DA/SA.
I have a CZ 70 that's DA/SA with safety and decocker, the trigger doesn't bother me at all.
I carry my 1911 most of the time, especially at work because I can open carry there.
I guess I like both trigger styles about equally.
really been thinking about getting either a Sig P226, or a CZ75 as soon as the money allows.

orangello 12-16-2010 10:27 PM

If i decide to carry, it will probably be an XD compact or one of those lil Kahr PM's; i want to KISS for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 404064)
...been thinking about getting either a Sig P226, or a CZ75 as soon as the money allows.

I have seriously enjoyed the CZ75b i picked up used. The lack of a slide stop is a bit odd at first, but only when you are looking the pistol over, not when you are actually using it. Look around; i picked mine up for $400 with nothing worse than some very minor discoloration on part of the slide, which i probably will get coated anyway.

Dave T 12-16-2010 10:56 PM

My objection to DA/SA handguns is you have to learn 2 quite different trigger pulls. If you actually learn them, well then you may do well. The vast majority of people I've seen shooting DA/SA weapons will insert a magazine, rack the slide and commence shooting, i.e. never even try the DA feature. If someone does activate the safety and drop the hammer for the first shot, then they get one DA pull and the rest SA. What's wrong with that you ask? The first shot in a defensive situation is likely to be the most important...yet it is the one practiced by owners of DA/SA guns the least.

A consistent trigger pull, one that's the same for every shot, is the optimum. I won't get into an argument about the virtues of cocked & locked despite carrying that way for all but the first 9 months of my LEO career. I will point out that one of the reasons for the success of the Glock is, it has the same trigger pull for each shot. Not a particualrly clean or crisp trigger but the same each time, none-the-less.

Dave

JonM 12-16-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnynrat (Post 403859)
The most important thing is whatever you choose you've got to practice, practice, practice until operating that weapon becomes second nature.

i second this. i shoot my guns a lot. i dryfire a lot. i feel confident with my da autos and my sa. both styles are second nature to me. it takes a concious effort on my part not to swipe the safety off when i casually pick up my 1911's. swiping the safety is an automatic reflex to me. i often find myself having to re-engage the safety just picking one up off the nightstand.

Cnynrat 12-17-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave T (Post 404307)
My objection to DA/SA handguns is you have to learn 2 quite different trigger pulls. If you actually learn them, well then you may do well. The vast majority of people I've seen shooting DA/SA weapons will insert a magazine, rack the slide and commence shooting, i.e. never even try the DA feature. If someone does activate the safety and drop the hammer for the first shot, then they get one DA pull and the rest SA. What's wrong with that you ask? The first shot in a defensive situation is likely to be the most important...yet it is the one practiced by owners of DA/SA guns the least.

I agree you need to do some extra work to get the feel of the first DA pull down since at best you only get that first shot in each mag. One of my drills on most trips to the range with my Sig is to shoot a couple mags in DA only (i.e. drop the hammer between each shot).