CZ trigger job
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > CZ trigger job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default CZ trigger job

I'm going to give this trigger job a try soon.

CZ-75 Trigger job lots of pics

I'm no gunsmith, but this looks simple enough and I have all the tools needed. This is not an action job, but should improve thr trigger atleast some I suspect. Any reason why I should absolutely NOT do this?

Should I just wait and pony up the $$$ and send it to CZ?

Has anyone tried this before? What would you rate the difficulty 1-7?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Reading about "sanding down the sear" made me really nervous. If you screw up the hammer/sear engagement surfaces and angles you could wind up with a gun that goes full auto. I hope Jim & Bear weigh in on this one...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you feel comfortable doing it I would say go for it, just be extremely careful. NGIB mentioned a very good reason to be careful and go slow. I tuned up the trigger on my 30-06 after talking to stalkingbear and showing him the plan I was going to follow. Shoot him a PM, he'll give you some solid advice.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #4

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you have the proper tools and knowlege, go for it. Just take your time, go easy, don't change any angles and keep all surfaces true and flat. Remember, you are only removing or polishing out burrs and imperfections. The only way to truly learn is to do it yourself. I have not looked at your posted link yet, so I cannot comment on it yet.

Jim.............

Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The link shows changing some angles though.

I don't think this is something I'm ready to risk just yet.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

When I look at DIY posts on the internet, there are several things that I take a look at, not the least of which is the detail the person put into the write up.

This detail has very good write up and the pics with the highlighting is well thought out. The problem is 1) this person has 5 posts on that board and no one has responded, and 2) he makes no mention of how much .000" ?? you are taking off.

When you are dealing with sear engagement, a little is quite a lot and a lot can lead to some serious issues.

Like Jim said, the best way to learn is to give something a try. Just keep in mind that you might be ordering some replacement parts if things go tragically awry.

Personally, I think you can probably do it Brian, but to do it correctly, you are going to have to really take your time and possibly re-assemble parts of the weapon for function test a few times to make sure.

Or you can shop around for replacement springs that will lighten the trigger up.

JD

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i don't think it's wprth the risk. Knowing me I'll lose something or put it back together wrong,lol.

I'll just leave it as is and maybe get some new springs. I may send it in to CZ for a trigger action job one day.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I looked at the link and only see 3 things wrong.

#1-Not enough pics and instructions to replace the springs/parts for somebody that's never had 1 apart.

#2-I don't like the idea of you changing the angle of the sear.

#3-I'd put a Wolff spring kit in it.

Make SURE you can handle it before you take it down. If you're sure you can handle it go for it but BE SURE.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brian, 5/4/10

Since I live in a remote area 3500 miles from the nearest gunsmith I needed to become proficient in doing trigger and action jobs on my pistols. I have done four on CZ type pistols (2 CZ-75 compacts, 2 Witness .45 pistols which use a similar sear assembly and hammer hooks) in addition to my other pistols (SW 3rd generations, Beretta, Sigs, HK's, SA 1911's). Doing a proper, safe job is a lot more involved than the above attachment shows.

First you have to learn the normal workings and detail strippings of your model. I usually order the AGI DVD's on my pistols or sometimes you can find an armorer's manual online. Next you need the proper tools which can be expensive if you are just doing one pistol. I use a Power Custom Series 2 stoning fixture along with Arkansas and India stones. As with many chores, it is the setup that is critical and takes the most time. The stoning can be done relatively quickly. I am somewhat anal-compulsive and take a few swipes with the stones, then reassamble the action and check for the function I want. I may disassemble, stone and reassemble the pistol 10-15 times before I am satisfied with my work. It is better to take off a little metal at a time then too much, in which case you are hosed.

With all the CZ's or CZ type actions that I have shot there is a lot of trigger creep with a new, out-of-the-box pistol. With the hammer back in the single action mode you can actually feel the grating of metal on metal as you make that final pull to drop the hammer. You can also see the hammer move backward just before the trigger breaks due to the hammer hooks having a closed (less than 90 degree angle) as the sear moves off the hooks.

In summary- you can learn how to do it yourself but it involves a lot of time and money. For just one pistol it may be better to send it off to a good smith. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
i don't think it's wprth the risk. Knowing me I'll lose something or put it back together wrong,lol.

I'll just leave it as is and maybe get some new springs. I may send it in to CZ for a trigger action job one day.
Yeah, not gonna do it.