Custom Serial Numbers

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Custom Serial Numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Custom Serial Numbers

I've always thought the idea of a custom serial number on a gun was really cool. The first one I ever saw was on a "GOAL" gun back in 1984. BTW, GOAL is the Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts. At the annual banquet, GOAL holds a raffle for its members. The top prize is always a gun that has been specially built and donated for the event, and it usually has a custom serial number. In the past they have been made by Dan Wesson, Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Strayer-Voight. The serial numbers are usually "GOAL", followed by the year. That very first one I saw was "GOAL 1984".
I was wondering if this was a common practice for gun owner organizations on the state level, or is this something unique to GOAL?
I know the NRA has special serial numbers on some of their auction guns, and I've seen a few on DU "prize" guns too, but are there other groups that do this too?
I don't think manufactures let individuals choose custom serial numbers anymore. There was a time when the T/C Custom Shop would let you choose a custom serial number for a frame while it was being made, usually on a flat side model that would also feature custom engraving, but they don't let you do this anymore.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here