You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Current Colt Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Current Colt Quality

I had a customer come in who had recently bought a Colt Defender from us. He said that out of the box it had some serious trouble feeding without malfunctioning He took it to a local gunsmilth who specializes in 1911's (one I've used with satisfaction before) who got it better, but still not as reliable as it should be. The customer said that Colts current quality has taken a big nosedive.

Anyone else having problems with the RECENT crop of Colts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Liked 429 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm not that much of a 1911 guy . But when looking for a 1911 shorty for carry I did not read any thing on current problems any more than there has always been in general . 45 shorties can be sensitive to shooters skills and ammo , 9mm not so much .

Some guy of unknown skills say colts current quality has taken a nose dive but he bought one and you being a dealer believed him enough to ask !here ! Hard to find any real QC problems on colt forums and I did read around before I picked a pistol to buy . Kimber has more people asking about QC. Not know what the skills level or common sense of the buyer is or the ammo used , did it pass a plunk test and cartridge gage check , were other mags tried and instead of letting colt give it a look see he takes it to a local "gunsmith" .

Not sure I would worry about it . I bought a shorty 1911 a month ago . I got to run rounds thru a sig 1911 ultra , colt defender and kimber ultra , all 9mm. All ran fine , triggers felt the same and minor issues like grip choices and material finish being the only real difference . I picked the Kimber stainless ultra carry II in 9mm for the lower $712 price tag over the others as all else functioned well . I don't think it would have mattered what make I bought .

To bad this guy let a smith muck with it before letting colt look it over .

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-03-2016 at 03:20 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Liked 4597 Times on 2644 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Colt in the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Seems QA missed the corrosion under the front sight.

Current Colt Quality - General Handgun Discussion

Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Liked 4597 Times on 2644 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

And this rear sight:

The stripped bolts in this blot carrier gas key:

This cracked trigger guard:

The flat machined safety selector stops and whatever those raised lines are on the upper:

These selector stops are even worse:

The unusual ghost imprint on this lower along with the poor cast quality of the mag release showing a lot of visible pores and flaws.

Probably not a recent trend as I have collected these photos over time, with that commander front sight being just last month. I just know that there are Colt fans who would say, that they weren't just paying more for the Colt name, but that quality was consistently better than other manufacturers. I just haven't seen it to be true. They are just another manufacturer who lets lemons by from time to time like all the others. They do rest on a reputation that came from a time when their guns had a lot more hands on manufacturing and craftsmanship, when things like these would not have been let out of the factory because someone along the line would have stopped it. Now things only get bath checked. It's going to happen. I don't think Colt sucks, but I don't think they are as special as they once were.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-03-2016 at 03:48 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4301 Times on 2440 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

I just bought a new Colt 1911 .38 Super Government. Colt is ahead of the curve on the .38 Super. The slick new 1911 shoots the .38 Super Comp ammo without modifications. Colt has survived millions of "Gun Store Experts" over the past centuries.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Liked 1301 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 51

[QUOTE=hardluk1;1811002]I'm not that much of a 1911 guy . But when looking for a 1911 shorty for carry I did not read any thing on current problems any more than there has always been in general . 45 shorties can be sensitive to shooters skills and ammo , 9mm not so much .

Some guy of unknown skills say colts current quality has taken a nose dive but he bought one and you being a dealer believed him enough to ask !here ! Hard to find any real QC problems on colt forums and I did read around before I picked a pistol to buy . Kimber has more people asking about QC. Not know what the skills level or common sense of the buyer is or the ammo used , did it pass a plunk test and cartridge gage check , were other mags tried and instead of letting colt give it a look see he takes it to a local "gunsmith" .

Not sure I would worry about it . I bought a shorty 1911 a month ago . I got to run rounds thru a sig 1911 ultra , colt defender and kimber ultra , all 9mm. All ran fine , triggers felt the same and minor issues like grip choices and material finish being the only real difference . I picked the Kimber stainless ultra carry II in 9mm for the lower $712 price tag over the others as all else functioned well . I don't think it would have mattered what make I bought .

To bad this guy let a smith muck with it before letting colt look it over .[/QUOTE

First of all, a customer related the problems he personally experienced. Secondly, he had it worked on by the guy that does all the area Bullseye guns, and has worked wonders with one of my 1911's. Third, I am not stating their quality is down, I am coming on here asking for other's opinions to see if this is an exception or the rule.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

Liked 1550 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Colt is currently cranking out some of the best guns they have made in several decades. However, I am sure a lemon gets out every so often from any factory.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 09-04-2016 at 03:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 429 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 62

txpossum I don't care if it was mr clark him self that worked on it or his off spring and colt is one of the few brands he will work on still . Then your relating unknown problems from a unknown natural as you did not get to try the pistol out . he should sent it back to colt first and this customers skills is still subject !! You could have checked on 1911 forums were you would find a better cross section of treads on colts with a search .

Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4838 Times on 2690 Posts
Likes Given: 2368

So, some guy worked on a handgun that was still in warranty.

Why not get back with the manufacturer?

If out of warranty, then was there some "Kitchen table" work one to "improve" it?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15126 Times on 7564 Posts
Likes Given: 14218

I recently bought a new Colt Lightweight Commander, .45, and the quality is superb. A few years ago, I bought a new LE6940, M-4, and it's absolutely top shelf in every way..

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP