Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > cross-state transportation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cross-state transportation

Just thought some of you guys might be able to help me out with the laws real quick. Im a GA resident as of August. I formerly lived in IL where I had a FOID card making it legal to own a weapon/ammo in the state of IL. I purchased a weapon in GA in October. By law nothing is required to own a gun in GA outside of an optional conceal carry permit, which I dont have. I am transporting my pistol from GA back to IL for the holidays in a suitcase in the backseat of the car. I didnt want to leave it in my house while I was away. My question is basically am I conducting this transportation legally and does my FOID card still apply even though I am technically not a resident of IL? I doubt the gun will leave the suitcase but I want to make sure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

if your not a illinoise resident foid doesnt apply to you unless you decide for some insane reason to move to illinoise. each city in that state has their own gun laws. chicago bans handguns hence all the handgun crime.

other cities allow em. the further you get from chittycago the less stupid the gun laws get. in illinoise to transport a firearm it has to be in a locked case in the trunk.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 472

When I travel I stash my weapons in a FAA approved locked case in the trunk or in the toolbox in my truck. The reason I recommend an FAA case is you can check your weapons when you fly without any hassle. I have a concealed permit. State laws are easy to look up. But local ordinances are not so easy to look up. I would rather avoid the hassle.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

Glad I took my pistol with me, regardless of legal transportation. We came home to find our apt burglarized. Safes were busted and seemingly safe storage places were ransacked. It would have been another legal gun in the hands of a crook.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arober1990 View Post
Glad I took my pistol with me, regardless of legal transportation. We came home to find our apt burglarized. Safes were busted and seemingly safe storage places were ransacked. It would have been another legal gun in the hands of a crook.
Amen! Sorry for your violation.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
When I travel I stash my weapons in a FAA approved locked case in the trunk or in the toolbox in my truck. The reason I recommend an FAA case is you can check your weapons when you fly without any hassle. I have a concealed permit. State laws are easy to look up. But local ordinances are not so easy to look up. I would rather avoid the hassle.
Check out this site for local codes www.municode.com its the one we used in the PD Academy.

I support the right to arm bears

Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It changes from state to state. It's very difficult to wade through all that legal jibber jabber. However being in GA myself, I can tell you that here your car is considered an extension of your home, and you can carry in your car without a permit. As for crossing state lines, again lots of legal maneuvering, I'd just not get pulled over or searched.