Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   cross-state transportation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/cross-state-transportation-79308/)

arober1990 12-24-2012 06:31 PM

cross-state transportation

Just thought some of you guys might be able to help me out with the laws real quick. Im a GA resident as of August. I formerly lived in IL where I had a FOID card making it legal to own a weapon/ammo in the state of IL. I purchased a weapon in GA in October. By law nothing is required to own a gun in GA outside of an optional conceal carry permit, which I dont have. I am transporting my pistol from GA back to IL for the holidays in a suitcase in the backseat of the car. I didnt want to leave it in my house while I was away. My question is basically am I conducting this transportation legally and does my FOID card still apply even though I am technically not a resident of IL? I doubt the gun will leave the suitcase but I want to make sure.

JonM 12-25-2012 12:08 AM

if your not a illinoise resident foid doesnt apply to you unless you decide for some insane reason to move to illinoise. each city in that state has their own gun laws. chicago bans handguns hence all the handgun crime.

other cities allow em. the further you get from chittycago the less stupid the gun laws get. in illinoise to transport a firearm it has to be in a locked case in the trunk.

John_Deer 12-25-2012 12:27 AM

When I travel I stash my weapons in a FAA approved locked case in the trunk or in the toolbox in my truck. The reason I recommend an FAA case is you can check your weapons when you fly without any hassle. I have a concealed permit. State laws are easy to look up. But local ordinances are not so easy to look up. I would rather avoid the hassle.

arober1990 01-03-2013 05:26 PM

Glad I took my pistol with me, regardless of legal transportation. We came home to find our apt burglarized. Safes were busted and seemingly safe storage places were ransacked. It would have been another legal gun in the hands of a crook.

BeyondTheBox 01-03-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arober1990 (Post 1078078)
Glad I took my pistol with me, regardless of legal transportation. We came home to find our apt burglarized. Safes were busted and seemingly safe storage places were ransacked. It would have been another legal gun in the hands of a crook.

Amen! Sorry for your violation.

rickyp8888 01-05-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1064908)
When I travel I stash my weapons in a FAA approved locked case in the trunk or in the toolbox in my truck. The reason I recommend an FAA case is you can check your weapons when you fly without any hassle. I have a concealed permit. State laws are easy to look up. But local ordinances are not so easy to look up. I would rather avoid the hassle.

Check out this site for local codes www.municode.com its the one we used in the PD Academy.

GeneralPatton 01-11-2013 09:36 PM

It changes from state to state. It's very difficult to wade through all that legal jibber jabber. However being in GA myself, I can tell you that here your car is considered an extension of your home, and you can carry in your car without a permit. As for crossing state lines, again lots of legal maneuvering, I'd just not get pulled over or searched.