Crazy gun ideas
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Crazy gun ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Crazy gun ideas

I was looking at some guns earlier on gunbroker and began thinking of crazy designs like mixing characteristics of different guns or having guns do something that no one would ever think of having it do and was wondering if anybody else had crazy gun ideas or have wanted a gun the just doesn't exist.

How cool would it be if there was a revolver (simular to a ruger blackhawk) that could fire 30-06 springfields?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've dabbled in odd gun designs with drawings and trying to iron out kinks but I keep running into patent infringement problems since the best systems are already in use or owned.
As for the 30-06 revolver, its possible but it would be too heavy for practical use and probably only hold 3-4 shots in a cylinder that weighs a good bit. If you've ever handled a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in 45-70 Gov't, you'll see why.
Most of my ideas involve making magnum cartidges function in a semi-auto platform, but the rimmed cases provide a hurdle that is a bit hard to jump, though possible.
I'd like to try and rebarrel an FAL to accept a straight walled cartidge that has an over-all-length of the .308 Win, kind of like the .458 Socom AR-15s on steroids.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how about a modern LeMat type revolver with a 22/22mag cylinder around a 410/45 center barrel

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro:

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Not meant as a put down- but find a book (out of print, but you library can get you a copy) called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. More weird guns between 2 covers than any book I have ever seen.

You will be astounded what someone did with a gun- 50-100 years ago.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
As for the 30-06 revolver, its possible but it would be too heavy for practical use and probably only hold 3-4 shots in a cylinder that weighs a good bit. If you've ever handled a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in 45-70 Gov't, you'll see why.
Most of my ideas involve making magnum cartidges function in a semi-auto platform, but the rimmed cases provide a hurdle that is a bit hard to jump, though possible.
I'd like to try and rebarrel an FAL to accept a straight walled cartidge that has an over-all-length of the .308 Win, kind of like the .458 Socom AR-15s on steroids.
Never said it had to be practical just fun: It would be cool to see an FAL like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
how about a modern LeMat type revolver with a 22/22mag cylinder around a 410/45 center barrel
That would be cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro: YouTube - ‪World's Largest Revolver‬‏
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not meant as a put down- but find a book (out of print, but you library can get you a copy) called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. More weird guns between 2 covers than any book I have ever seen.

You will be astounded what someone did with a gun- 50-100 years ago.
I'll found some copies on amazon for about ten bucks so I'll have to get one. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro:
My God, why?

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
My God, why?
Not completely sure but I would think that since that caliber is used in rifles to bring down animals as large as elephants, it could be intended to be used as a backup gun when hunting very large dangerous game. That's just my guess. It may of just been made for heck of it too. Hard to say. I bet it hurts to shoot though.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #9

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Here's one for you.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Not completely sure but I would think that since that caliber is used in rifles to bring down animals as large as elephants, it could be intended to be used as a backup gun when hunting very large dangerous game. That's just my guess. It may of just been made for heck of it too. Hard to say. I bet it hurts to shoot though.
Yeah, if you miss your primary shot you have one extra shot to take down the charging animal......and as an added bonus in case you miss that second shot you will be left knocked unconcious and you won't feel a thing as the animal tramples you to death...............So, there is a plus side

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST