Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Crazy gun ideas (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/crazy-gun-ideas-44655/)

texaswoodworker 07-03-2011 07:16 AM

Crazy gun ideas

I was looking at some guns earlier on gunbroker and began thinking of crazy designs like mixing characteristics of different guns or having guns do something that no one would ever think of having it do and was wondering if anybody else had crazy gun ideas or have wanted a gun the just doesn't exist.:D

How cool would it be if there was a revolver (simular to a ruger blackhawk) that could fire 30-06 springfields?:eek:

Ruzai 07-03-2011 07:56 AM

I've dabbled in odd gun designs with drawings and trying to iron out kinks but I keep running into patent infringement problems since the best systems are already in use or owned.
As for the 30-06 revolver, its possible but it would be too heavy for practical use and probably only hold 3-4 shots in a cylinder that weighs a good bit. If you've ever handled a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in 45-70 Gov't, you'll see why.
Most of my ideas involve making magnum cartidges function in a semi-auto platform, but the rimmed cases provide a hurdle that is a bit hard to jump, though possible.
I'd like to try and rebarrel an FAL to accept a straight walled cartidge that has an over-all-length of the .308 Win, kind of like the .458 Socom AR-15s on steroids.

moonpie 07-03-2011 08:57 AM

how about a modern LeMat type revolver with a 22/22mag cylinder around a 410/45 center barrel

utf59 07-03-2011 02:18 PM

Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro:

c3shooter 07-03-2011 03:48 PM

Not meant as a put down- but find a book (out of print, but you library can get you a copy) called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. More weird guns between 2 covers than any book I have ever seen.

You will be astounded what someone did with a gun- 50-100 years ago.

texaswoodworker 07-03-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzai (Post 533570)
As for the 30-06 revolver, its possible but it would be too heavy for practical use and probably only hold 3-4 shots in a cylinder that weighs a good bit. If you've ever handled a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in 45-70 Gov't, you'll see why.
Most of my ideas involve making magnum cartidges function in a semi-auto platform, but the rimmed cases provide a hurdle that is a bit hard to jump, though possible.
I'd like to try and rebarrel an FAL to accept a straight walled cartidge that has an over-all-length of the .308 Win, kind of like the .458 Socom AR-15s on steroids.

Never said it had to be practical just fun::rolleyes: It would be cool to see an FAL like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonpie (Post 533584)
how about a modern LeMat type revolver with a 22/22mag cylinder around a 410/45 center barrel

That would be cool too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59 (Post 533643)
Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro: YouTube - ‪World's Largest Revolver‬‏

Sweet!:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 533694)
Not meant as a put down- but find a book (out of print, but you library can get you a copy) called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. More weird guns between 2 covers than any book I have ever seen.

You will be astounded what someone did with a gun- 50-100 years ago.

I'll found some copies on amazon for about ten bucks so I'll have to get one. Thanks.

DrGonzo11 07-03-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59 (Post 533643)
Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro:

My God, why?

texaswoodworker 07-03-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 (Post 533740)
My God, why?

Not completely sure but I would think that since that caliber is used in rifles to bring down animals as large as elephants, it could be intended to be used as a backup gun when hunting very large dangerous game. That's just my guess. It may of just been made for heck of it too. Hard to say. I bet it hurts to shoot though.:D

Hawg 07-03-2011 09:53 PM

Here's one for you.

DrGonzo11 07-03-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 533869)
Not completely sure but I would think that since that caliber is used in rifles to bring down animals as large as elephants, it could be intended to be used as a backup gun when hunting very large dangerous game. That's just my guess. It may of just been made for heck of it too. Hard to say. I bet it hurts to shoot though.:D

Yeah, if you miss your primary shot you have one extra shot to take down the charging animal......and as an added bonus in case you miss that second shot you will be left knocked unconcious and you won't feel a thing as the animal tramples you to death...............So, there is a plus side :)