Copper Brush
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Copper Brush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Copper Brush

Hello everyone,

i just purchased a beretta PX4 storm .40. this is my first handgun and i had a quick question.

i just got done cleaning the gun and getting all of the factory oil off of it.

I was told that it is ok to use the copper brush to clean the inside of the barrel (the bore?).

Can you confirm or deny that it is ok? I looked at the barrel and it is very clean but i saw about 5 small, fine, hairline scratches. Did i just damage my barrel?

All i did was dip the copper brush into the Hoppes 9 solvent. and i pushed the brush from the backend to the front of the barrel. I didnt go back and forth. I did this about five times.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congratulations on your new Beretta!
It'll be fine, as the brush is several orders of hardness softer than the barrel. I suspect that the brush is actually brass as opposed to copper, btw.
Copper build-up from firing can cause accuracy issues, so a good scrubbing to remove it using a metal brush and that Hoppes copper solvent is a recommended practice.
Now, we expect a range report and some pictures. nnnnnn-kay?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Most of those brushes are bronze. For pistols, a nylon brush should be adequate enough. The bronze bristle brushes shouldn't harm your barrel though. You may notice some scratches. I stay away from using the bronze brushes on any barrel/bore that is chrome lined....they are mainly for use on bare steel as far as I'm concerned. IF you see deposits of fouling in your barrel that actually warrant the use of an other than nylon brush for cleaning, then in my opinion, you're using the wrong cleaning agent or not doing correct maintenance.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

ok cool. thank you both.

yeah i will definitely get some pics and let you know how the range went. im going today and tomorrow.