Convince a .45 lover to convert - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Convince a .45 lover to convert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Funny...I only had to use my M9 once in my 3 tours. You could ask the guy it was used on how he feels about the 9mm...but he must of thought I had a .45 because he went down fast and never gave me his input on the caliber debate.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dude just stick to what you know. Sounds like you know .45.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I hear ya. But here's the problem. I have 9mm's. I don't even own a 45. I'm perfectly comfortable with it. But I can sit here and give you 100 reasons why 9mm's will get the job done. And I can provide you endless testimonies by "experts", and test data to that fact. But as soon as I do, someone else will come along with a 100 reasons why 9mm's won't cut it. With an equal number of expert testimonials and test data to prove their position. I wish I had a $10 bill for every time I've seen it hashed out on forums and blogs.

So go with your gut. If using a 9mm causes you heartburn, then don't. Stick with what you are comfortable with. Do what's right for you, not what someone else talks you into.

Last edited by Paladin201; 02-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I hear ya. But here's the problem. I have 9mm's. I don't even own a 45. I'm perfectly comfortable with it. But I can sit here and give you 100 reasons why 9mm's will get the job done. And I can provide you endless testimonies by "experts", and test data to that fact. But as soon as I do, someone else will come along with a 100 reasons why 9mm's won't cut it. With an equal number of expert testimonials and test data to prove their position. I wish I had a $10 bill for every time I've seen it hashed out on forums and blogs.

So go with your gut. If using a 9mm causes you heartburn, then don't. Stick with what you are comfortable with. Do what's right for you, not what someone else talks you into.
once again paladin you are correct. but again im specifically throwing out the "expert testimonials" and looking for that personal story some might have. im not looking to re-enforce my bias, like i said im trying to get over my idiosyncrasies. I know and i apologize if it looks like im arguing but its the fleeting mayday calls of a sinking ship so to speek.

Quote:
Funny...I only had to use my M9 once in my 3 tours. You could ask the guy it was used on how he feels about the 9mm...but he must of thought I had a .45 because he went down fast and never gave me his input on the caliber debate.
dude i wouldnt know im not ground side, but we all meet at the same damn bar and i hear them all going back and forth. not backing him up just he said she said.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

K.I.S.S.

Firearms shoot bullets

Bullets kill people

Carry what you want

Debate over

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Just get some nice hollow point defense rounds if your worried about a 9mm going on through the target. A spread 9mm defense round has a larger diameter than a .45 fmj. 9mm's are cheaper to shoot so you get more trigger time (unless money is no object) and practice makes any firearm more deadly. You wanted convincing to use a 9mm. Thats my two cents.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Just get some nice hollow point defense rounds if your worried about a 9mm going on through the target. A spread 9mm defense round has a larger diameter than a .45 fmj. 9mm's are cheaper to shoot so you get more trigger time (unless money is no object) and practice makes any firearm more deadly. You wanted convincing to use a 9mm. Thats my two cents.
thank you cattledog. ive also been tossing around the fact that i should own one for the simple reason there are more 9mm rounds than .45 for a shtf plan.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

When I started piling up guns, the 9mm was the last I added to my pistol collection. Not because it's a crap round, but because I knew I would shoot it the most as the rounds are noticeably cheaper. I wanted to get some time in with my .40 and .45 before my 9mm started eating it up.

That being said, I keep my pistols in a shelved box with the .40 and the .45 at the front loaded. My 9 is behind them, so for a quick oh crap moment, I can answer the door with some authority. If its more extended, my wife has easy access to the 9. I'm with the poster above who said why change, just get both. It sounds like you have a .45 already, if so save up and get the 9 when you can. If not get the .45 when you can and then save for the 9.

This isn't really a ballistics problem, a 9mm will kill a man no problem and there are stories of guys reloading 1911s to kill guys just like with the m9s and there are plenty of stories of guys falling over dead from one .22 round. It really is about shot placement in those cases. You worried about over penetration? Get a .410 and load it with bird shot.

This is really a preference problem. You are going to make a compromise here. Either get the gun you want in the caliber you don't or wait till you find a gun in the caliber you do want.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #19

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
You ask for assistance, but in the same breath you bash a lot of folks' favorite round???

I carry a 1911 with 7+1 .45 ACP or sometimes carry a Bersa 9mm with 17+1 & don't feel inadequate either way.
Same ole story

And this is----Well, dont have the words

[QUOTE=Soliferrum;700242]no Hoss, you missunderstand my lineage. My father was an 0311 from 79 to 85. to own 2 types of weapons I.E. a 9mm as a sidearm or an AR as an MBR is, like i said, sacrilegious to my family. "Boy, know this and know it well. Nothing-can stop an AK and never start a gunfight with a caliber lower than a .4" so for years upon years i can own any caliber of .40 or .45 i care too. But to carry a 9 is to spit in the face of god. we-uh, we take our guns way to seriously.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-05-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
K.I.S.S.

Firearms shoot bullets

Bullets kill people

Carry what you want

Debate over
Well said. I've never shot anybody with a bullet and never been in the military. I've been in debates like this and rarely does someone change their mind. I'll throw two more pennies in this ball of poop argument and say that in paintballing it is amazing that two skilled and seasoned adults can sometimes throw hundreds of rounds at each other and never get hit. I would rather hit bg with a 45 but magazine capacity has significant merit to justify a 9mm. I carry 5 shots of 38 + p as a ccw, because of reliability and simplicity.