Confused: Double Action Only ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Confused: Double Action Only ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Confused: Double Action Only ?

I'm looking for my first handgun. I understand SA and DA; and DAO in theory but not as it's been shown to me in practice on several semi-auto handguns.

To me Double-Action-Only should mean cocking the gun only loads a round into the chamber, but does not set the fireing-pin. Pulling the trigger each time should first set-the fireing-pin and then release it, fireing the round.

I've seen alot of hammerless guns like the "S&W Sigma Series" which are labeled DAO. When I was shown this gun in the store, one had to first cock the gun to set the firing-pin before pulling the trigger which only released the firing pin. (sounds like SA to me).

My biggest concern with this setup is this:
Since there is no hammer, I asked how does one disarm the cocked "ready to fire" weapon, if you decide not to shoot someone. The guy showed me you had to first remove the magazine, clear the chamber, and then dry-fire it to release the pin. This doesn't seem very practical to me at all.

What am I missing?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With a DAO gun it does not cock when it fires. I bought a DAO S&W semi-auto that my daughter carries for CCW. The hammer only comes back when you pull the trigger.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Default Dao

DAO is a misnomer. DA is by definition the ability to fire the gun by either of two ways, manual cocking or trigger cocking.

The DAO is capable of only one way. It is actually a SA trigger cocker.

I have a "DAO" revolver, S&W M-65 .357 3". It does not have a "Single action" notch on the hammer and can only be fired by trigger cocking.

The Sigma is not DAO. It is almost the same as the Glock in that the striker is preloaded by the movement of the slide. It differs from the Glock in that there is a spring that resists trigger movement giving the feel of a DAO.

The Beretta DAO's have REALLY sweet hammer cocking mechaisms that are the same for each shot.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If possible, before buying, go to a range that rents different types of pistols and try the different action types. That's the only way to know for sure.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I think I understand a little better, though I still don't see the benefit of the "hammerless" style alot of DOA's come in.

Think i'm leaning towards any SA/DA WITH a hammer on it. It just seems more practical to me, even though it rules out alot of otherwise great guns.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
I still don't see the benefit of the "hammerless" style alot of DOA's come in.
One less thing to snag if you are carrying concealed.

Dean

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadin View Post
One less thing to snag if you are carrying concealed.
ahh. I see.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

I like the double single actions like on most sigs best of both worlds this means the first shot is single action long pull and the following shots short and crisp it helps with the making sure you want to shoot and under pressure as yo tense up you dont want to mistakenly tap off a round that you didn't need to fire cuz they dont come back.

It only hurts till the pain goes away...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honestly a four year old thread??? and your from my state!

bear-face-palm.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9133 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

You are now required to buy the thread a birthday cake.

Then go stand on the front lawn in your underwear, and scream "DOES ANYONE HAVE A CALENDAR !?!?!?"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.