Concealed Carry/Personal Defense Weapon - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Concealed Carry/Personal Defense Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Cant go wrong with a Glock

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I really like my m&p 9mm compact

Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #23

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Is money an object? Kimber ultra covert II but a glock 26 hides quite nice too. I also have carried a h&k p2000sk which is a little bigger than the glock.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_23 View Post
Im pretty new to handguns (own a 12 gauge shotty though) and im looking for something great for concealed carry/personal protection.

"something small. reliable. great to use in a pinch. and durable".

small reliable and durable are most important to me.
I dont want something likely to jam or made of cheap materials.the first handgun that comes to mind would be the XD or XDm line next would be ofcourse, the glock line, (glock people would reverse the order)

Ive browsed online and the sig p238 seems good for its size but ive never owned a handgun previously. if it makes any difference im just a tad over 6ft tall and just under 200lbs.

i work a job where others may try to rob us at a moments notice...so i need to be safe and feel comfortable. something that can fit in my jeans/jacket, etc.

also something that is quick and easy to operate...nothing too complicated in terms of its design/functions. I would not go with the 1911. at first! after training yes 1911's any/all info appreciated.
submitted to help you to chose....

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

My observations of people with laser sights have shown that they work well for people who already shoot well. The dot from a properly sighted laser gives the shooter confirmation that the muzzle is on target.

If you're off target, depending on surroundings, you may not see that dot at all. Then you won't know how to adjust.

You said the P238 is on the no-no list for Cali? That's too bad, because they're sweet guns. They do have a manual safety, though, and as I recall, you wanted simple.

The area of guns you describe is huge, and I'm sure it's the fastest-growing part of the gun market today. There are new models of pocket carry guns out all the time. And I'm sure there will be a couple announced any time now, since the SHOT show is gearing up this week.

First, move out of California . If that won't do, check the legal list. Do your research on their reliability. You've already started that here, and a number of excellent guns have been mentioned. Go find a place that rents them if you can. If you can't, at least find a place that sells them so you can see how they fit your hand, how you like the sights, how much they weigh, etc.

Then pick one.

Then shoot the snot out of it and post a range report here so we can all congratulate you!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #26

I personally have a springfield xdm 40 3.8. This gun is easy to conceal with the right holster. The current holster I have is a galco that holds the gun with the handle up. It's very comfortable when your sitting and easy to to get the gun into shooting position. I've run about 650 rounds through the gun and not 1 problem.
My other 2 guns are s&w sve40. I use that gun as a paper weigh. I've run 300 rounds through it and have had it failure to feed numerous time and failure to fire. I wouldn't recommend this gun at all. I also have a high point 380 wouldn't recommend this gun for conceal carry its heavy and big but very accurate. That's my 2 cense.