Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Concealed Carry/Personal Defense Weapon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/concealed-carry-personal-defense-weapon-53103/)

fp_23 12-06-2011 07:04 PM

Concealed Carry/Personal Defense Weapon

Im pretty new to handguns (own a 12 gauge shotty though) and im looking for something great for concealed carry/personal protection.

something small. reliable. great to use in a pinch. and durable.

small reliable and durable are most important to me.

I dont want something likely to jam or made of cheap materials.

Ive browsed online and the sig p238 seems good for its size but ive never owned a handgun previously. if it makes any difference im just a tad over 6ft tall and just under 200lbs.

i work a job where others may try to rob us at a moments notice...so i need to be safe and feel comfortable. something that can fit in my jeans/jacket, etc.

also something that is quick and easy to operate...nothing too complicated in terms of its design/functions.

any/all info appreciated.

MrWray 12-06-2011 07:27 PM

What about a commander size 1911 .45acp?

Alpha1Victor 12-06-2011 07:43 PM

I own a sig p238 and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I use it mainly when I go running in the mornings. My primary gun is a wilson combat cqb. Its a commander sized(4.25 in barrel). Not real hard to conceal and is arguably the best gun ever made. Referencing the 1911 platform.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

fp_23 12-06-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 644798)
What about a commander size 1911 .45acp?

What brand do you suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor (Post 644810)
I own a sig p238 and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I use it mainly when I go running in the mornings. My primary gun is a wilson combat cqb. Its a commander sized(4.25 in barrel). Not real hard to conceal and is arguably the best gun ever made. Referencing the 1911 platform.

good to hear. I heard the p238 had a recall or something? i assume now the issue it resolved?

the wilson combat cqb is out of my price range lol. it says it starts at $2500.

im definitely looking to spend less than 1K. i don't mind buying used either so long as its in good condition.

what caught my eye about the p238 is the size pretty much. I also like that some versions come with a laser sight which would be great for intense situations (takes some of the pressure off aiming as its pretty much "point and shoot".)

so guns with laser sights go to the front of the line as well.

JonM 12-06-2011 08:07 PM

I would recommend the new springfield xdm 3.8 in 45acp or colt defender/new agent.

All three under 1000 new very reliable. My personal carry is a colt new agent in 45acp. Slim lightweight has 7+1 capacity can still use standard 1911 magazines. Easy and fast to shoot. Feels like im just carrying a cellphone on my side.

Im interested in a xdm compact as i hate to admit i kinda like my xdm fullsize better than my fullsize 1911s :eek:

fp_23 12-06-2011 08:15 PM

so we all agree pistol > revolver for my uses?

JTJ 12-06-2011 08:15 PM

I also have a Sig 238 and it is a great little pistol. No malfunctions, accurate and easy to shoot. It wont beat you to death. It also has very good night sights standard. You are big enough that you might be able to carry something more substantial There are too many to recommend just one. Check out several different pistols or revolvers. See what fits your hand and what you can comfortably carry. Narrow the field and then see if you can shoot the ones you are interested in. The one thing I look hard at is whether the gun points naturally. I close my eyes and bring the gun up. When I open my eyes the gun has to be pointing in the right direction without bending my wrist or shifting my grip. I immediately discard any that dont.

fp_23 12-06-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 644826)
I also have a Sig 238 and it is a great little pistol. No malfunctions, accurate and easy to shoot. It wont beat you to death. It also has very good night sights standard. You are big enough that you might be able to carry something more substantial There are too many to recommend just one. Check out several different pistols or revolvers. See what fits your hand and what you can comfortably carry. Narrow the field and then see if you can shoot the ones you are interested in. The one thing I look hard at is whether the gun points naturally. I close my eyes and bring the gun up. When I open my eyes the gun has to be pointing in the right direction without bending my wrist or shifting my grip. I immediately discard any that dont.

thats good advice. So i assume guns that point naturally are well balanced and not top/bottom heavy?

im pretty new to handguns even though i have a handgun safety certificate (necessary to buy a handgun in my state of california).

where can i go to shoot guns im interested in? i been to an armory (had to for my handgun cert) but didnt see where/how i could fire one of them as it was just a bunch of cases of firearms.

Alpha1Victor 12-06-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fp_23

What brand do you suggest?

good to hear. I heard the p238 had a recall or something? i assume now the issue it resolved?

the wilson combat cqb is out of my price range lol. it says it starts at $2500.

im definitely looking to spend less than 1K. i don't mind buying used either so long as its in good condition.

what caught my eye about the p238 is the size pretty much. I also like that some versions come with a laser sight which would be great for intense situations (takes some of the pressure off aiming as its pretty much "point and shoot".)

so guns with laser sights go to the front of the line as well.

The recall has be finalized. To be honest with you... Scrap the laser idea. The laser on the p238 is a switch on/off and is difficult to do with one hand. If the situation arises, the last thing your going to be thinking is I need to turn on my laser. You will want to be sending rounds down range. Also using a laser on your gun is frowned upon in a court of law. They will see you either as not being proficient with your gun(bad) or use of excessive force(bad). I have seen this happen in court. If the perp is close enough you can just point and shoot without using sights.

Just my .02

hardluk1 12-06-2011 09:57 PM

Go out and get a well used S&W airweight J frame revolver in 38sp. Good CC handgun .They hold up well and can bought cheap and conceal very easy then as you find your self at the range start asking questions and most shooter will let someone try what they have, You will with some time find a another you just have to have.