Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > concealed carry and medications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I Apologize I should have given the names of the medication. I was given (Tramadol HCL 50MG tablet Generic for Ultram 50MG). Also I was given (Metaxalone 800MG tablet Gener4ic for Skelaxin 800MG). I am having a hard time trying to find out what theses are classified as. I understand that "controlled substance is generally defined as a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, or use are regulated by the US Govt., and this does include both illegal drugs and prescription medications." However I do know that medication have classifications and some do not qualify has a controlled substance because they are not under the FDA as a narcotic. So I guess now i need to find out what it is classified as.

Michigan Law http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10961--,00.html
Carrying Under the Influence

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall not possess a concealed pistol on their person or motor vehicle while they have any bodily alcohol content (.02 bodily alcohol content [BAC] or above) or a controlled substance.*

Acceptance of a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) constitutes implied consent to submit to a chemical test for violations of this law.

A police officer who has probable cause to believe an individual is carrying a concealed pistol and has consumed alcohol may require a chemical test of breath, blood, or urine.

An individual carrying a concealed pistol with any BAC is subject to immediate seizure of their pistol and the following penalties:
BAC of .02 - .07 = State civil infraction, $100 fine, and up to 1-year CPL license revocation.
BAC of .08 - .09 = 93-day misdemeanor, $100 fine, and up to 3-year CPL license revocation.
BAC of .10 or more = 93-day misdemeanor, $100 fine, and permanent CPL license revocation.
* This does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol or on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.
For other prohibitions against carrying a concealed weapon, see "Pistol Free Areas".

Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #22

Depending on the test used tramadol can show up as a positive on a drug screen. That being said it does not require a controlled substance prescription. Just my .02. I am a MD

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #23

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgundude
Depending on the test used tramadol can show up as a positive on a drug screen. That being said it does not require a controlled substance prescription. Just my .02. I am a MD
They don't do a drug screening for a cpl do they?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #24

I don't know what they do there but if the LEO thinks u are impaired they will run a test.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #25

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Gotchya. Sorry for stealing the thread. I'll return it now. I'll post what I hear from my class on march 2nd.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #26

Liked 1916 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Ultram is not a scheduled controlled substance. Neither is skelaxin. That being said, they can each reduce reaction time, motor skill, judgement, alter mood and irritability. Probably not a great idea to be packing with those side effects. If you did shoot someone, lawyers would be all over it.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Ultram is not a scheduled controlled substance. Neither is skelaxin. That being said, they can each reduce reaction time, motor skill, judgement, alter mood and irritability. Probably not a great idea to be packing with those side effects. If you did shoot someone, lawyers would be all over it.

A word of caution... While the DEA may not consider tramadol a controlled substance, several states do. Arkansas, Kentucky and I believe Oklahoma list tramadol as a schedule IV drug. Other individual states may as well. Best to check a drug's status with your local pharmacy.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #28

Liked 211 Times on 139 Posts

This is correct I know it is controlled in some states and I am no MD.
I would not over think the situation. The only time this would likely become an issue is if you had to use deadly force to protect yourself or someone else. In this case if deadly force is justified end of story.
Of course there is always the potential for a civil suit but cross that bridge when you get to it. At least you will be alive to cross it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #29

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Due to the ambiguity of the law's language, couldn't ANY prescription drug be considered a controlled substance? if you need a prescription to buy it, then obviously the government has decided that something about the drug requires that you get a doctors permission to use it first. but lots of prescription drugs don't make you "drunk" like Penicillin for example.

do any prescription drugs say to NOT drive or operate machinery? that may be your litmus test...if the warning says to be careful while driving, then it must be ok to use it and drive, just as long as you are aware of the possibility that it can affect your abilities. vs a drug that says "do NOT operate a vehicle/machinery"

Sounds to me like you'll need to consult both your pharmacist AND a lawyer who is familiar with your state laws to find the answers you seek.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Due to the ambiguity of the law's language, couldn't ANY prescription drug be considered a controlled substance?

Sounds to me like you'll need to consult both your pharmacist AND a lawyer who is familiar with your state laws to find the answers you seek.
In the local forum, there was a discussion about a CPL instructor who made that exact statement.

OP, I'd recommend posting in migunowners.com legal section. Several 2A attorneys post in the forum.