concealed carry and medications - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

concealed carry and medications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Here's the MI law
(2) An individual shall not carry a concealed pistol or portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology while he or she is under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance or while having a bodily alcohol content prohibited under this section. An individual who violates this section is responsible for a state civil infraction or guilty of a crime as follows:
source

Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

Liked 93 Times on 67 Posts

Well this sucks. I just started taking adderall again in November and I have my cpl class registered and paid for march 2nd. I'm wondering if this will be a problem.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56
Well this sucks. I just started taking adderall again in November and I have my cpl class registered and paid for march 2nd. I'm wondering if this will be a problem.
Laws like the ones we've been discussing are not intended to blindly catch anyone who carries and are taking legal prescriptions (think of the numbers of citizens this would affect). These laws are catch-alls used to control individuals who act without using good judgement and common sense. To compile a comprehensive list of medications and dosages, then keep it updated would be a massive undertaking and subject to interpretation and loopholes. These laws are a balance between being too specific and impractical versus broad and all encompassing. When it comes down to it, if you are involved in an encounter or incident and LEO's/lawyers have reason to believe medications are partly or wholly responsible, they are going to pursue that aspect with vigor. As always, the responsibility of safe carry is up to you, if your prescriptions leave you mentally/physically impaired in ANY sense, its time to leave the firearm at home. One thing I'm unsure about though is how all these new mandates concerning mental health will affect this subject in the near future...

Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
It would be a problem with me if your meds start kicking in and you start shooting erratically.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

I hear ya. I don't know what you all know about the medication but its not a maddening drug like some think. It's gotten a bad rap from people who abuse it.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude

Laws like the ones we've been discussing are not intended to blindly catch anyone who carries and are taking legal prescriptions (think of the numbers of citizens this would affect). These laws are catch-alls used to control individuals who act without using good judgement and common sense. To compile a comprehensive list of medications and dosages, then keep it updated would be a massive undertaking and subject to interpretation and loopholes. These laws are a balance between being too specific and impractical versus broad and all encompassing. When it comes down to it, if you are involved in an encounter or incident and LEO's/lawyers have reason to believe medications are partly or wholly responsible, they are going to pursue that aspect with vigor. As always, the responsibility of safe carry is up to you, if your prescriptions leave you mentally/physically impaired in ANY sense, its time to leave the firearm at home. One thing I'm unsure about though is how all these new mandates concerning mental health will affect this subject in the near future...
That's a good thought. I will be asking the LEO or attorney in my cpl class to clarify. I'll repost when I hear. And I'm in Michigan also op

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8798 Times on 5253 Posts
Likes Given: 11665

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
How would they know you are taking adderall? Is it a question that is asked to get a CCW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
It would be a problem with me if your meds start kicking in and you start shooting erratically.
I agree whole heartedly here. An ADHD person not on his meds is a crazy thing to see, sometimes. My "son" Eric, was ADD and too adderall. He was crazy funny when he didn't take it but I sure wouldn't have handed him a gun at that time.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

How would they know you are taking adderall? Is it a question that is asked to get a CCW?

I agree whole heartedly here. An ADHD person not on his meds is a crazy thing to see, sometimes. My "son" Eric, was ADD and too adderall. He was crazy funny when he didn't take it but I sure wouldn't have handed him a gun at that time.
Not sure if they will ask or administer drug tests. I won't be lying though. I don't have add or ADHD. I take it to focus on schoolwork. I'm normal without it, just lazy and sluggish. It just wakes me up and lets my mind focus on a task rather than wander around

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

I'm a little concerned by the fact you spelled muscle wrong. Leads me to believe you may be a little loopy on the meds. Oh and I am a pharmacist so I know what I'm saying when I tell you narcotics and muscle relaxants are as dangerous as alcohol intox when handling firearms. Good luck with the back injury and perhaps for the time being don't carry while taking the medication.
"In the early days of World War 3, guerrillas - mostly children - placed the names of their lost upon this rock. They fought here alone and gave up their lives, so that this nation should not perish from the earth."

Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You know, I never even thought about this until I read this post. I to have back issues, and have a prescription for it. Then again, I've been carrying while taking stuff for my back for like 6 or 7 years now and it's never been a problem. I think it is as another poster already said, that it's mainly intended for nefarious characters and not John Doe legal citizen with a Dr's order. But I wouldn't volunteer the info either.