Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   concealed carry and medications (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/concealed-carry-medications-82532/)

doomrus26 01-26-2013 10:20 PM

concealed carry and medications

Hello i have a few questions. I am a cpl holder in Michigan. I carry a 380 auto and a 9mm.. I just recently injured my back and am forced to do physical therapy. But while this is going on my doctor gave me a mussel relaxer and a low dose pain killer. Now according to this medication is states " Use Caution When Operating a Car or Dangerous Machinery" I have taken these Meds and I know the affects they have. I feel fine and am able to drive with no problem. Now my question is. In the eyes of the law is this a controlled substance? Can i carry my gun while taking these? I have seen strong pain meds say do not operate and car. So I can see that as not being able to carry on but the meds I have are not strong at all. I am unable to find an answer on the MI.gov site any info would be helpful thanks.

MoreAltitude 01-26-2013 10:39 PM

In Michigan:
An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall not possess a concealed pistol on their person or motor vehicle while they have any bodily alcohol content (.02 bodily alcohol content [BAC] or above) or a controlled substance. (Note controlled substance)!!!
* Furthermore, acceptance of a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) constitutes implied consent to submit to a chemical test for violations of this law.
* Now, a controlled substance is generally defined as a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, or use are regulated by the US Govt., and this does include both illegal drugs and prescription medications.
So, yes under the law you could find yourself in deep doo-doo if it was determined you were under the influence of a controlled substance, and had a run-in with law enforcement or an incident.

JTJ 01-26-2013 10:45 PM

There is another caution. If you are carrying at the waist, the additional weight might be detrimental to your back injury. I know I am limited as to what i can carry without additional support such as suspenders. Also I recently had to stop carrying iwb at 4: because of the pressure of my pistol causing nerve problems. I am ok with otb.

John_Deer 01-26-2013 11:03 PM

I quit carrying my single action pistols in a shoulder holster. My neck is giving me fits recently. I found a conventional holster that has a clip much like a IWB holster. I just clip it on my pocket when it so cold I have to wear overalls/coveralls. Kind of hard to get a pistol with a 6" to 10" barrel out of layered clothing.

partdeux 01-26-2013 11:55 PM

I wouldn't. I don't in general like muscle relaxers. Not sure what you mean by low dose pain killers, but if it's a narcotic, probably not a good idea.

danf_fl 01-27-2013 12:39 AM

Different states have different laws.

And I forgot to renew my ABA dues.

SSGN_Doc 01-27-2013 01:21 AM

Controlled substance would be in a DEA controlled catagory or schedule. Class II would be the heavy stuff, like Morphene, Demerol, Oxycodone, etc. Class III would be stuff like Codiene, Hydrocodone(Vicodin), Diazepam (Valium), several of the anti-anxiety meds, etc. Then schedule IV like some sleep aids.

So if your prescription bottle has a C with a schedule number on it, it is controlled. You can call your local pharmacy and find out if the meds you have are a controlled substance.

hardluk1 01-27-2013 03:03 PM

The muscle relaxer would be the problem here but the mild pain releaver could be covered by any number of over the counter products. Be sure to talk to your doc about those.

I have to use several control substances with a C and schedule number just to live do to a doctores screw up amost killing me. NO problem as noted during med check for my ccl over the years. I does depend on the type of controled substance.

winds-of-change 01-27-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreAltitude (Post 1111397)
So, yes under the law you could find yourself in deep doo-doo if it was determined you were under the influence of a controlled substance, and had a run-in with law enforcement or an incident.

Even if it were determined that his levels were "therapeutic" and not at "abuse" levels?

SSGN_Doc 01-27-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1112343)
Even if it were determined that his levels were "therapeutic" and not at "abuse" levels?

Depends on how the law is written in his state. If they say that carry is not permitted while taking controlled substances, or under the influence of controlled substances, or if it says under the influence of a mind altering drug. Any of these can make a difference in how the law can be interpreted.