Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Composite frames

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Composite frames

I am considering a S&W Sigma 9mm which is on sale at a very good price. How do the composite frames hold up? Can the gun be used for IDPA activities or will the pistol become loose with use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I would think if I were to consider shooting competitively, I would look for a pistol with a tad higher quality parts. JMHO.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Plastic pistols are just fine and will last a long time. This being said, a Sigma has a terrible trigger and I wouldn't recommend one for any kind of competition. I have owned 2 so I'm not just spreading second-hand knowledge. Good reliable truck guns - yes - no more than that though...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have you tried a S&W M&P? It's a big improvement over the Sigma and it would work well for IDPA/IPSC competitions. Several folks around here are starting to use them for IPSC and getting good results.

I'd go with either a regular M&P9, and M&P9L (longer barrel) or an M&P9Pro (basically a tuned M&P9L, with a lighter trigger, fiber optic front sight, etc.). I got a regular M&P9 and I'm quite happy with it, it's accurate and comfortable.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I had the same question before I bought my XDm, the answer from the firearms salesman was, "Look how many years that Glock has used a polymer frame." I have also taken into consideration the clutch master cylinder in a diesel Ford pickup I used to own and how tough that cylinder was, the top bolt pulled through the firewall and there was only one bolt keeping it working when I found out why the pedal was getting spongier. The cylinder was also leaking a bit but after I installed a reinforcement plate on the engine side of the firewall and bolted the cylinder back the leak stopped. That incident gave me a lot of respect for modern plastics. However, I still like steel or alloy frames and that's why the 1911 is one of my favorite pistols. Then again I'm just an old fashioned guy that grew up in an age of mostly iron, steel and aluminum.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerstalker View Post
I am considering a S&W Sigma 9mm which is on sale at a very good price. How do the composite frames hold up? Can the gun be used for IDPA activities or will the pistol become loose with use?
First I would go by the new members page and share more about your shooting experience. Hard to give reasonable advice with out understanding your experience. . Is there a polly frame that shoots well in IDPA, yep is it a sigma ...no. Some good advice give but before more will chime in your need to introduce yourself and express your experience.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

To be competitive...an edge over the competition will be helpful,
the Sigma won't give you that.
I suggest you view some local IDPA
competitions and see what the shooters are using.
Talk to them about their gear, most are always willing to help.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sigmas have god awful triggers. They're stupid heavy and have a fairly long pull. I've shot a 1911 for years and I shoot it pretty well. All of my shots with a Sigma hit considerably low, just because of the heavy trigger.

They're good durable guns, but race guns they're not.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

to me,all S&W semi auto pistols are kind of klunky. if you want an accurate and tight plastoc semi, should look at something else.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockmaniac View Post
to me,all S&W semi auto pistols are kind of klunky. if you want an accurate and tight plastoc semi, should look at something else.
OH, Really
What do you suppose he should look at...a Glock?