Competition .22LR Gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Competition .22LR Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Competition .22LR Gun

I posted this on another forum, but here at FTF there are a bunch of knowledgeable people so here we go

Lately at my local range there has been some target tournaments in which I have participated, first I used my carry gun, then my 6" 357 with 38 spl loads and still need more accuracy to be a contender, I mean some guys have race guns tricked with special trigger jobs, weights here and there and match barrels, guns dedicated to target shooting only.

I don't want to modify any of my current guns so I need a new gun, after reading some, I'm set on Ruger SS Mark III, my problem is that I need to decide if I get a 6.88" Slab-Sided Bull Barrel or a 6.88" Target Crowned Fluted Barrel.

Any pros or cons with these barrels, this gun will be strictly for competition and target practice, no defense or small critters will be killed with this gun

Also if there are better choices than the Mark III, I would like to hear about them.

Since the competitions are on a clock, x amount of shots in x amount of seconds, I want to eliminate the DA on follow up shots for faster target acquisition, I can modify my 686 for a very light DA, but as stated I don't want to modify this gun since it serves me well for a sidearm while hunting and I like the heavier pull for this hunting application.

The .22LR cal reasoning is that since the .22LR is a small cal, recoil would be minimum thus target acquisition for follow up shots will be faster and I still don't have a .22LR so why not start with a competition dedicated gun.
I'm leaning towards the 6.88" Slab-Sided Bull Barrel since it seems it's heavier.

I still got some time to decide until I get some money I'm waiting to receive.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't shoot in competition, but my most accurate guns are the S&W model 41, and one of my Browning Buckmarks with 5.5" barrels. I have a Ruger Mk II with a 4" barrel, but it's not as accurate as the others.

My Buckmark Silhouette (10" barrel) is very accurate but tough to hold up free hand for very long.
3buckmarksud.jpg  

Some of my toys

Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Liked 3256 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

For a no compromise .22 semi-auto I would look at the S&W 41. The Ruger Mk3 series are good guns. But the triggers out of the box are less than inspring. As for accuracy, I'm probably not terribly demanding, but mine is more than acceptable. I use mine (5.5" bull barrel) for .22 pin matches and it's more than accurate enough for that. Serious paper punching is another issue entirely. If you do end up getting the Ruger, check out these guys:

https://www.volquartsen.com/

They can help you make your Ruger into something pretty cool. Heck, you could even order one of their cool looking custom guns.
Of course, Mine's not nearly that cool. Still effective though.
mk3rd.jpg  
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-10-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Just checked the SW41, sweet gun, but almost double the price of the Rugger MKIII, not discarded for sure, but difficult to get in the near future.

Thanks for you input, impressive collection you got there.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Look into Hi-Standard.

Find yourself a lightly used one with a 7" bull or counter-weighted

barrel, and call it a day.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My Ruger Mk I with 5.5" bull barrel is fiercely accurate.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

The S&W Model 41 is a good candidate, but expensive. If money is a problem, you can get a Ruger MK III and get pretty close. The MK III may need some work, though. IME, the trigger probably won’t be as good as a 41, but it can be fixed with a Volquartzen sear and other internal parts. I put a MK II hammer and bushing in when I put in the VQ sear and eliminated the mag safety. The differences between the Hunter and Slab Side are about 4 oz. in weight difference, the Slab Side being heavier, and the sights. The Slab Side has a black square post front/square notch rear, while the Hunter has a HiViz front with V rear. I have found I can’t hit anything with the HiViz/V combination. I converted mine back to square sights.

Another minor area of concern, IME the stainless Ruger barrels can be a little rough and may take some breaking it before they achieve maximum accuracy. When they are broken it they shoot very well, but they may not shoot that well out of the box.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I myself would look for a good used Ruger MkII with a 6 7/8" barrel the govt target model. Mine will shoot the hair off a nats nuts at 25 yards. Within 50 yards if you are a squirrel or other small vermin your as good as dead if I have that gun with me.

For me that barrel length offers enough weight to be much more steady without having all the weight as the 10" model.

Guns For Sale - Pistols For Sale - RUGER MARK II GOVERNMENT TARGET MODEL .22 CAL - Auction: 9756444 (Ended 06/09/2010, 16:20:22 PST)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Hold both. If possible, hold them both when your hands are tired. The heavier barrel isn't just going to add weight — it's going to add weight out front. See how each balances in your hand. If you're going to be fine with that by the end of a match, not just for a few seconds at the gun counter, then the heavier barrel may be for you.

As others have said, there is a bunch of after-market stuff available for the Ruger to improve its already-excellent accuracy.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Pulled the trigger and gave the down payment for this one

Ruger® Mark III™ Target Rimfire Pistol Model 10103

Will try to pay in full before the end of the yr.