Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Compact or subcompact???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I find the subcompact glocks to have to short of a grip to feel safe shooting it quickly. I have to take extra time to adjust my hand to be as high as it can go without hitting the slide.

Are you looking only at glocks for carry or are you just looking for any small pistol to carry. Check out the http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-your-primary-carry-gun-6105/ for suggestions.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its a tough call. I like the concealability but the grip on the subcompact is too small for my hands. how does the magazine extension work?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Instead of worrying about sub-compact vs compact, ask yourself why you aren't considering a full size?

Clint Smith's words:

"A full size pistol is big to carry sometimes, but it is always big in a fight, and big is what you want. You never hear anyone complaining that their gun was too big in a gunfight."

An example: If you consider purchasing a Glock Model 19 for your carry piece, why don't you consider a Glock Model 17. The size of the 17 is not much bigger than the 19, and you have the insurance of added ammo capacity, and a slightly longer barrel, which will enhance the effective range of the fight you can bring.

Another example would be to look into the world of the revolver for defense. There are many choices out there, and you can choose from having a capacity of 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds (.357 Magnum is popular with the different capacity offerings) at your disposal at a time. I recently shot a 7-round Smith and Wesson revolver that was smooth as butter, and very accurate all the way out to 25 yards and beyond. Revolvers are overlooked too much in this day and age. You cannot beat the simplicity of the design, and the reliability.

If you want a sure thing in the semi-auto world, though, I have only 4 numbers for you to remember........

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i want a 9mm (no flaming please) if i could find a 9mm revolver i might consider one.

i saw a compact 9mm 1911 style pistol the other day i think it was called an emp or something. i really liked it but it was a little spendy.

as to the "no fullsize" question...with that "a perfect holster" its hard to draw a gun with a long barrel or slide, i have noticed that practicing with my glock 34