Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Compact or subcompact???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Compact or subcompact???

I took my CCW class the other week and now that I am done with getting married and stuff, I am going to go pay my money with the state tommorrow.

Additionally i get to do one of my favorite things...gun shopping!!! (my groomsmen were polite enough to chip in for a 550$ gift certificate at cabelas for me) I plan to carry whenever practicable. I will probably be using "a better holster" a majority of the time since i have to wear a suit to work. but when i am casual i will probably be using an inside the waistband holster.

My glock 34 is too big for the "a better holster".

So my question is, would I be better off with a compact or a subcompact? Im not a terribly good shot with a pistol. I worry that the smallness (good word) of the subcompact will be uncomfortable to shoot and will hurt my accuracy. But it will be easier and more comfortable to carry. on the other hand, i think a compact pistol will be much easier to shoot, but not as easy to carry.

whats your take?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'll say compact.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hey you're the super smart lawyer, (I love disin' lawyers) get the one that fits!

You can NOT have style dictate your PD gun! You know that, you went to college!

No one looks good dead!

Get an 'effen gun that works! Even if it requires new clothes.

If you get the mouse gun you will probably do what I did, mag guide and mag extension to allow my pinkie to purchase grip, not air!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
Im not a terribly good shot with a pistol.
Don't spend those gift cards on a new gun that you won't be able to shoot well, spend it on ammo/reloading supplies for your current weapon

Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #5

My compact glock 23c gets the most carry time when Im dressed in jeans and button up. But occasionally I have to carry its sub compact counter part a gock 27. Both suit me just fine even though I do prefer the 23c. Wearing a suit Id go with the compact.

In Glock we trust.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #6

Default Compact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
So my question is, would I be better off with a compact or a subcompact? Im not a terribly good shot with a pistol. I worry that the smallness (good word) of the subcompact will be uncomfortable to shoot and will hurt my accuracy. But it will be easier and more comfortable to carry. on the other hand, i think a compact pistol will be much easier to shoot, but not as easy to carry.

whats your take?
I owned the Glock 23 (Compact) and the 27 (Subcompact) of Glock's .40 cal line. Loved the 23, could never get used to the 27. Just too damn small to get a comfortable grip and, subsequently, an accurate shot.

I'd go with the Compact of your particular line, but I'd suggest finding a range where you can try out both (including concealed carry options), then making your choice.

Buy without try can be an expensive mistake! A 50% divorce rate is proof of that!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #7

I would go with the compact also. I had a G27 and just could not shoot it accurately, just way too small (and I have small hands).

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #8

100% get what feels good go to a store with a range and test out a few. I see like this, if you truly need to use it, it will not be from far away....

Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
get the one that fits!

If you get the mouse gun you will probably do what I did, mag guide and mag extension to allow my pinkie to purchase grip, not air!
Sound wisdom and good advise, there! A weapon you are uncomfortable carrying or shooting is a detriment to your ability to use it when the time arises.

Get one that fits YOU! Get a holster that allows you to carry concealed with comfort....try them! Make sure you have a weapon that you can grip and won't go flying through the air when discharged.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey you're the super smart lawyer, (I love disin' lawyers) get the one that fits!

You can NOT have style dictate your PD gun! You know that, you went to college!

No one looks good dead!

Ho, contraire. I can think of several that would fit the scenario...