Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Colt auto .25 misfiring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i own a colt Automatic .25 that i inherited. the gun was made in the early 70s i believe 72 or 73 and it was a daily ccw of my grandparent. i recently took it to the range and i noticed it would misfire once or twice every couple MAGS. the ammo was new. after pulling the trigger nothing would happen, i would extract the round and notice an indentation on the primer (if thats what its called) then cock it again and it would fire fine. i was wondering if this is a problem with the firing pin or some other part of the gun or the ammunition being a dud. and if its the ammunition, is it common to get 4 or 5 duds in one box?

1340803926860.jpg  

There is a reason the first and second amendment are the first and second, they are necessary to protect the rest.

Last edited by TeamTactical; 11-03-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Dis-assemble clean and lube first(always). Check at range to see if problem fixed. If not you might need a new striker spring.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

SatoriNoir Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I inherited a .25 Bauer Automatic from the 70's, and I had to clean and lube it first as hiwall said.
Shoots fine without any misfires.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #4

does the lube i use have to be packaged specifically for a fire arm or could i use the same lube as i have for other mechanical things such as electric razors?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

do you have any idea where i could go online or otherwise to find a striker spring for such an old model gun?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 3664 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

You can use any light machine oil. If you do not know how to strip and clean this one, PLEASE go see a gunsmith- or you may be going to see him with all the parts in a bag.

First step should be to clean and lube the pistol- dried lube gunks up parts and impedes their free motion. Numrich is sold out of the spring for that gun, but IF it needs one, any decent smith can get you a replacement spring.

And THAT gun is not that old. I just acquired a 12 g double last month that was made 99 years ago.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You can use any light machine oil. If you do not know how to strip and clean this one, PLEASE go see a gunsmith- or you may be going to see him with all the parts in a bag.

First step should be to clean and lube the pistol- dried lube gunks up parts and impedes their free motion. Numrich is sold out of the spring for that gun, but IF it needs one, any decent smith can get you a replacement spring.

And THAT gun is not that old. I just acquired a 12 g double last month that was made 99 years ago.
wow touche sir. thats pretty cool. im just starting to really appreciate the older guns. at first i was all about the newest coolest stuff. but i do know how to strip and re assemble all my guns especially this one because its pretty easy. thanks for the help.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Some good degreaser (Bore scrubber or denatured alcohol) and a q-tip to clean inside the stiker channel will do wonders. You may be amazed at what comes out. In the 70's many folks used WD-40 on guns. It was a lousy lubricant and dried to a sticky, gummy mess. I am willing to bet you have more than your fair share of the sticky stuf in there.

Oh, and it helps when you use MAGAZINES instead of clips. Most guns function much better that way.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #9

Good catch robo.
Mags*
Its amazing how you can think you know a lot about a subject and then realize you have a long way to go.
I just watched a vid on youtube explaining the difference between a clip and a magazine.
At least thats one more thing i wont make myself look like an idiot saying hahaha. Thanks robo!

There is a reason the first and second amendment are the first and second, they are necessary to protect the rest.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

This particular gun is known for two things. Not being very reliable and a safety recall. Do you have any idea if the firearm was returned for the recall? If I remember correctly they originally had a free floating firing pin. If it doesn't have a free floating pin it was returned for the recall and this could be part of the light strike issue. If it does have a free floating pin you should put it in your safe and leave it there (that's where mine stays) they had a tendency to go off accidentally and go full auto. Mine was not returned for the recall and I don't shoot it.

I don't need No stinking signature.