Cocking Pistol With One Hand? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cocking Pistol With One Hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 173 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch22000 View Post
I'm trying to think of a good way to do it and sounds like you will need help at least to start then change mags from slide lock. I did see a show where they modified a slide to help a guy who can't grip the slide hard enough to rack it.
If I had to, I would use my bare feet to hold the weapon, and my free hand to rack it.

Thats only if I had to.

Lets say, a home invasion shoot out, I need to clear a jam, and one of my arms has been blasted away already by the perps.

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-05-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
double action and preferably also with an external hammer.
what do you mean by that? also are most not made with a external Hammer?

Nch22000, that is interesting i guess i could try and find someone who could somehow custom make me one.

Thanks guys!
Jeff

Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default Limitations

I understand working w limitations better than most. I think it was a NightHawk ad but they make an all steel rear sight that makes it easy to charge one handed. (lesson learned from 1986 Miami.)

Practice w snap caps until it is second nature. When you get to the range, tell the RO what you are doing, why your doing it and offer to demonstrate w snap caps. When he sees you are safe and just making the best of a bad situation - I hope he will give the benefit of the doubt.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnakehouse View Post
what do you mean by that? also are most not made with a external Hammer?

Thanks guys!
Jeff
The glocks and glock-knock-offs have internal hammers. You would definitely want to avoid those.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #15

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

With the use of only one hand maybe a good alternative would be to swap the auto for a revolver. The revolve is a time tested defense weapon and they are fun to shoot.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch22000 View Post
I'm trying to think of a good way to do it and sounds like you will need help at least to start then change mags from slide lock. I did see a show where they modified a slide to help a guy who can't grip the slide hard enough to rack it.
That is what i am thinking; buy something reasonably sturdy and reasonably priced (ruger p95) and get a shop to weld the charging handle from an SKS on the slide. With something that large on the slide, you should be able to stand sideways, cross arms, (muzzle down range) and cock it on your other forearm. Ya think?

Of course, you would have to consider if that extra weight would require a spring change, and concealed carry might be......challenging.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #17

Good things to think about!!. I do have revolvers already, they are fun to shoot and are great guns but i just would like to not be limited to just those!

I was just looking and i found a company called MasterPeace Arms and they make semi-auto with a side cocker i would call it on the side that i think might work. But definently not a concealed carry gun, but that really isnt what i am looking for right now.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA30SST

Again, thank you guys!!
Jeff

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #18

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The glocks and glock-knock-offs have internal hammers. You would definitely want to avoid those.
Glock type guns are actually striker fired; there is no hammer on or in them anywhere.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Glock type guns are actually striker fired; there is no hammer on or in them anywhere.
Insert "stiker" for "hammer" then.

I have little familiarity with the internal workings of a glock because I would never touch one.

I can only observe what they look like on the outside and since there is obviously no external hammer they would be out of the question, from my point of view.

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnakehouse View Post
Good things to think about!!. I do have revolvers already, they are fun to shoot and are great guns but i just would like to not be limited to just those!

I was just looking and i found a company called MasterPeace Arms and they make semi-auto with a side cocker i would call it on the side that i think might work. But definently not a concealed carry gun, but that really isnt what i am looking for right now.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA30SST

Again, thank you guys!!
Jeff
This "weapon" looks pretty good for the application you have in mind, yes.

Gives you all the advantages of semi-auto firing with none of the drawbacks of a slide.

I am guessing this baby has an internal bolt, like an M-60 or 50 cal machine gun. Looks like it anyway.