Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cocking Pistol With One Hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cocking Pistol With One Hand?

EDIT BY MOD- for those that are just joining our show in progress- As he has explained in earlier threads, Jeff only has the use of one hand due to a stroke. Pay attention! Sorry, Jeff- please continue. C3

Hey guys,

As some of you might know from my old threads about using only one hand i had another question that maybe you all could help me out with. I have revolvers and they are great guns but i would like to get into the sliding pistols as well just to be able to use more types of pistols but i cant think of a way that i could cock them only using one hand while still being safe while at the range. I tried to cock my brothers with one hand but it was to tough to get the slide all the way back. So if you all have any ideas that would be great!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnakehouse View Post
Hey guys,

As some of you might know from my old threads about using only one hand i had another question that maybe you all could help me out with. I have revolvers and they are great guns but i would like to get into the sliding pistols as well just to be able to use more types of pistols but i cant think of a way that i could cock them only using one hand while still being safe while at the range. I tried to cock my brothers with one hand but it was to tough to get the slide all the way back. So if you all have any ideas that would be great!!

Thanks,
Jeff
Cocking is when you pull the hammer back with your thumb.

Racking is when you pull the slide back with your hand.

Which do you mean?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Cocking is when you pull the hammer back with your thumb.

Racking is when you pull the slide back with your hand.

Which do you mean?
If you read carefully, he's having a hard time with the slide.
I've used the rear sight, if it's not a low mounr one, on my belt or on a pocket. I've heard you can use the ejection port in the same way. In a movie they held the gun between thier knees. Muzzle down

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

Sorry i meant Racking.

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

[quoteI've used the rear sight, if it's not a low mounr one, on my belt or on a pocket. I've heard you can use the ejection port in the same way. In a movie they held the gun between thier knees. Muzzle down][/quote]

that is a good idea but at a range im not sure how they would feel about me pointing the gun straight down towards my feet to rack it.

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by Jsnakehouse; 06-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8388 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Shoobee, good point- however, Jake has the use of only his right hand due to a stroke.

Jake- MOST of the ways I know of to rack and cock a semi with one hand would get you tossed off of most firing ranges- because the gun will not be pointed downrange while racking it.

There are somethings (as you well know by now) that REALLY go better with 2 hands (shoelaces being one). You may need a helper on the firing line. SOME auto mags need 2 hands to load- I have some 13 round Browning Hi-Power mags that are a bugger even with two hands.

However, if you have someone to get you started, you can shoot to slide lock, drop the empty, insert fresh mag, hit slide release, and continue to march. The only auto I can think of that is different are some of the very small auto pistols (Beretta) with the tip up barrels- most of those are not suited for target work.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

c3shooter, that is a good point having someone there to do it for me, i usually go to the range with someone anyway. But for those times that i dont have someone I would like to if there is a way to do this myself!

I actually learned to tie my shoes with one hand, wasnt easy to learn but i can do it now!!

Thanks!,
Jeff

Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762 View Post
If you read carefully, he's having a hard time with the slide...
I got that part. What I did not get is why would anyone want to rack a semi-auto pistol one handed? (Thanks C3 for the further info.)

I have seen Linda Hamilton rack a pump shotgun in Terminator one handed. Tried it myself and with my Mossberg 590 it doesnt work too good. You can blow your face off that way.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnakehouse View Post
c3shooter, that is a good point having someone there to do it for me, i usually go to the range with someone anyway. But for those times that i dont have someone I would like to if there is a way to do this myself!

I actually learned to tie my shoes with one hand, wasnt easy to learn but i can do it now!!

Thanks!,
Jeff
Most shooting buddies are more than willing to help a friend. Just don't be afraid to ask one.

The pro's and con's of a semi-auto pistol vary with each one.

You should be able to use a semi-auto yourself for home defense well enough, if you get one that is double action and preferably also with an external hammer.
cz-97b-45acp.jpg  

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm trying to think of a good way to do it and sounds like you will need help at least to start then change mags from slide lock. I did see a show where they modified a slide to help a guy who can't grip the slide hard enough to rack it.