Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning

I just bought my first 2 guns and brought them home today. I got a S&W Sigma 9mm, and a Remington 870 shotgun. The guy at the shop set me up with a gun cleaning kit for each, and gave me a small bottle of Hoppes #9 solvent and Hoppes gun lubricant. After reading the instructions on both guns, the S&W says "Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents should not be used on any S&W firearm" I checked the Hoppes solvent and it does contain ammonia. The 870 says to only use "Rem Action cleaner".

I'm assuming I have to return the Hoppes solvent before I can clean the guns, but does anyone have a suggestion on what a good replacement would be?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #2

I use Hopps #9 on my firearms with no problems.
S&W M&P .40 and .357 Mag service revolver and all of my shotguns, two of them being Remington 870s. Remington wants you to buy their product so that's why they put those warnings on them. Don't let the solvent touch the finish. Use the solvent for the inside of the barrel, receiver, bolt, etc. Then wipe away and use oil in these places including the outside of the firearm. Wipe away excess oil. If your shotgun has a wood stock, after cleaning prop the shotgun on it's muzzle so that any excess oil runs out of the barrel and not into the wood stock. Oil will ruin a wood stock.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hoppes Good. So is Shooter's Choice. Never ever use WD-40, Bad.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Remington is trying to sell their brand of cleaning solution. It does NOT mean any other solvent will cause harm or void the warranty. Kind of like Ford telling you to use only Motorcraft oil in your F-150. I believe there are Federal regualtions dictating warranty terms. A company cannot void your warranty because you chose a different cleaner/lubricant/filter. etc.

There is nothing wrong with Hoppes. Use it and sleep well.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Hoppes Good. So is Shooter's Choice. Never ever use WD-40, Bad.
Not to be argumentative, but I've used WD40 for 30+ years on a safe full of firearms with absolutely no problems and good results. I use it as a final swabbed through the barrel, after I clean them with a solvent. I've also used it to wipe down the external metal surfaces prior to placing in the safe. I've used it to de-gunk actions prior to dis-assembly. We used it in our armory in the USAF to wipe down every firearm--never an issue, never any corrosion or rust, never impacted the metal finish. I think WD40 has gotten a bad rap--it isn't a bore solvent, but when used properly works great to prevent rust and protect the bore. Just my observation...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

I also have hoppes 9 but havnt tried it yet. I use Nitro Solvent gun cleaner, stuff works really good for both of my guns. I then use Rem Oil for lubrication.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been using Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Benchrest on all my guns, zero problems so far.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use Hoppes #9 too, the stuff works great. If you get some on your finish wipe it off.
I've never used the Rem action cleaner, but.....Rem Oil is some good stuff IMO.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Hoppes #9 is for guns, what Channel #9 is for women.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #10

I guess my issue is that the S&W says not to use Ammoniated solvent (read solvent that contains ammonia). Why would Ammonia be bad for a gun, and if it is bad why would any solvent/cleaner contain it.