Clean/Lube/Protecting a blued finish....your suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Clean/Lube/Protecting a blued finish....your suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Clean/Lube/Protecting a blued finish....your suggestions?

Well, after almost 8 years I am literally buying my first blued pistol....a 4" EAA Windicator in 38special, for target practice mostly.

I have an entire cleaning/oil process for all of my other guns......but looking to see if there are any special products out there that are specifically designed for blued finish and stand out above the rest. I use a combo of Hoppes & Ballistol on my guns and they run flawlessly.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have nothing but blued guns. My maintenance program is simple. I clean my guns as soon after shooting as possible. I use Hoppe's No. 9 (the original, yellow label that comes in the half gallon can) to clean the bore, chambers, and interior and exterior. I wipe this down, then oil. I use a 50/50 mix of motor oil and Three-In-One machine oil. I wipe it on pretty heavily, the assemble the gun and wipe it down with a blue paper shop towel that I get from AutoZone.

I get criticized for using my "formula" but its worked for me for over fifty years.

Bob Wright