Christmas present .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Christmas present .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Christmas present .380

Just received a Christmas present from a close friend (a little late but...) Not familiar with this brand. Nothing says Christmas, like a .380

I had a Walther PPK .380 a few years back and sold it. Miss that gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Bersa thunder .380 is a "mixed emotion" ive know people that had loads of issues with it but others that performed flawlessly. But ive heard more good than bad. Good luck with yours.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #3

My dad has one and loves it and hasn't had any problems. I've shot it a few times and also really like it. I think a lot of people under rate the bersas

Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

People tend to post their problems with their pistol, looking for help & people without any problems, not so much. The % of those with issues, compared to the number sold, is very small. The same applies to just about every brand. What I look for most, when researching a pistol, is issues like slides cracking, frames cracking, safeties not working, etc. Too many feeding issues can be traced back to the shooter, magazines, improper clean & lube, or ammo.

The Bersa .380 is sometimes picky about ammo (mine & my wife's were not). Solution is just don't load up on any one brand until you know. Once they are broken in, they tend to handle brands they didn't like originally. The 'blow back' design is subject to limp wristing. The recoil spring is tapered & the small end goes to the breech. It may not be easily noticed & if it is backwards, it causes misfeeds. The 'cut' on the other end of the spring should be positioned at 12:00 to make it easy to reassemble the pistol.

Unless necessary, do not operate the trigger with the pistol field stripped or the right grip panel off. This can cause the disconnector bar to dislocate from it's position up snug to the frame & prevent re-assembly of the pistol. I say "unless necessary" because I use KG-10 Dry Lube on the sear, so must operate the hammer, but be SURE you ride the hammer down & check the disconnector bar. It's easy to put back in place.

Clean the shipping preservative inside & out, then lubricate. The preservative they use is not a lubricant & gets sticky from heat. If it gets too hot, it'll bake on & is real difficult to clean off. Be sure to disassemble & clean the magazines also.

These are the most frequent operator errors that are not the pistol's fault.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

Shot it today for the first time. Seems to be a bit lighter than my PPK-S. Worked perfect, no issues. Nice little gun.

Question: What is the F/S thing just above the trigger?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96740
Shot it today for the first time. Seems to be a bit lighter than my PPK-S. Worked perfect, no issues. Nice little gun.

Question: What is the F/S thing just above the trigger?
Not familiar with this gun but it looks like a "fire/safe" lock device?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #7

Interesting.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96740 View Post
Interesting.
It is an integral locking device that is operated by a little key that should've been in the box. It could be useful if you want to disable the pistol while you are not going to be around to monitor it and can't secure it in another way.

I was VERY happy with my lil Bersa .380. The only reason i let it go was to get my sister to ditch the .25 she has in her purse. I will probably be picking up another one in that nice flat nickle finish at some point. I haven't heard many complaints of ammo pickiness myself.

It is lighter than your previous pistol due to the alloy frame.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-10-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #9

In the box there should have been a very small key with an Argentinian flag bangle on it. This is to lock the trigger action so that the weapon can not be used.
My advise is to put it somewhere where you are not tempted to use it.

BTW, I have almost 2000 rounds through my little Bersa and have yet to have a single hiccup

Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #10

Got it!