Christmas Gun!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Christmas Gun!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Christmas Gun!!!

Okay friends, I have about 700$ worth of Christmas money to get a new gun, I am trying to decide between a walther pps in 40, and a compact/subcompact Springfield XDm in 40... I'm kind of a bigger guy so concealing either won't be a problem, what are your experiences/suggestions on the matter? Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Springfield XDm! I love this gun man, I also own glock 26/7 and the 36 and prefer the subcompactXD.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Aesthetically, Walther PPS, but I've heard both are great quality firearms.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

PPS is a great gun but the .40 has enough bite to not make it much fun at the range. I had both the 9 and the 40 and got rid of the 40 as soon as I could. Traded the 9 for something I liked better but it was a very good gun.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
Okay friends, I have about 700$ worth of Christmas money to get a new gun, I am trying to decide between a walther pps in 40, and a compact/subcompact Springfield XDm in 40... I'm kind of a bigger guy so concealing either won't be a problem, what are your experiences/suggestions on the matter? Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas!!!
I flat out hate the magazine release on Walther. It's stupid, it feels flimsy, it is counter to every other pistol I have ever owned, it's stupid, it takes a conscious effort to release it, and it's just plain stupid. Get the XD.

I'll be putting on the Nomex suit now in case any Walther fans read this.<grin>

Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input, I am going to get some range time this weekend with a couple of different xdms that are family owned so I hope that makes me decision a little easier. I held a Walther at a LGS today and was totally displeased with both the feel of the grip, as well as the "functionality" of the mag release... I feel like I have to hold my hand in an awkward position to drop the mag, and even so, my large hands still grip it instead of letting it fall. Also, I read an article yesterday that I am posting a link to, check it out and let me know what you think!?!?

http://www.safetysolutionsacademy.com/0282-4-reasons-why-i-am-switching-from-45-acp-to-9mm-and-why-you-too-should-make-the-change/

Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #7

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
...check it out and let me know what you think?
I think 49% of the people in this world tend to invest too much time and thought into conjecture and "what ifs". I think another 49% bank too much on incomplete and unsubstantiated statistical information. I think this guy falls within both of those categories, as have I many a times.

I think you should arm yourself with what you shoot well and will never leave home without.

I think you'll be very happy with the XDm!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-28-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

texasman55

I don't support the reasons behind the author switching from .45 ACP to 9mm. I base my opinion on experience with many gunshot victims over the years. In my experience a much higher percentage of people shot with a 9mm are still able to continue the fight upon arrival of rescue. While not all of the victims of .45 ACP rounds are unconscious, in shock, or dead, the great majority are unable to continue the fight.

Please keep this in mind, while I know that it happens on a regular basis, I have also never pulled a corpse out of a seat belt. There are so many variables involved with both injuries that there is no way to make blanket statements about what will happen if x, y, and z all occur. What I will say is that based on my experience, I have chosen the .45 ACP as my defensive round of choice. I don't care about myself, but if I ever have to protect my loved ones I want something I have faith in. I do own a 9mm, but it is only carried when nothing else I have will conceal with what I am wearing. When you're out and about, it's much better to have a 9mm on your person than a .45 at the house.