Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Chossing a hand gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Handguns have an inherent ability to generate a "trade-off" situation. That is, most folks have to sacrifice something to get other things they want, in a particular handgun.

For example... you want light weight? you will have to tolerate more perceived recoil to get it.

You want a short barrel? Again, you'll get more perceived recoil

You want more accuracy? You'll likely end up with a longer barrel, which adds weight, but reduces perceived recoil....

and like that.........

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
I need a hand gun that is for ever day open carry, and self defense. I was thinking a 1911 or Glock would those be to large for that purpose ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
My job as a (soon to be) small town gun store owner, that is what prompts me to open carry
I'm really struggling with this...

How is it that you're going to be a gun shop owner, but don't have enough of an opinion or knowledge to be able to make this decision?

Not trying to be a db, it just doesn't compute for me.

How is it that a standard, full-size pistol would be "too large" for open carry? How is it that you have uncertainty about 2 of the most popular pistol platforms in America that were and are openly carried by Police and Military?

I could understand if you were considering a S&W 500 at 4-1/2 lbs empty and a barrel length around 8-1/2", but a 1911 and a GLOCK?

And Cane had it right. I'd carry something different everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
If you're going to own a gun store, carry a different gun each day.

You should sort out the "best" in a year or two.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 07-28-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
Jay, I agree but it helps people narrow down their list of guns to check. Lets face the truth that renting can get expensive depending on range fees. Most don't have everything as well.

When I was new...my thought process was, go with what the LEO's and military use. If it is good enough for them then it must be for me as well. While it has merit, it also is not always true. I later learned/realized that they carry and light weight plays a major role in their selection which may not be true for me.

I also was bound by a budget which can be detrimental. Most newbie will try to get the cheapest that fits their criteria (what ever that is) and again having a list helped me avoid the cheap junks.

My first choice was definitely a Glock but after holding one...I knew it is not for me. Went to the next one in my list and on...but at least I had a list of good guns that meets my needs and stayed within my budget.

BTW, I ignored a lot of great recommendations because of my LEO/Military theory and paid dearly for it. I am learning now that most of my purchases are good but not as great as the ignored great recommendations. I am correcting it now and my lesson learned is to listen to the experienced folks and have an open mind.

That said, I am still scared entering the 1911 ring because of cost and potentially getting sucked in by that damn 1911 VORTEX I kept noticing (from a safe distance)!

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I'd venture a guess that a visit to your local gun shop, or a notice posted on their bulletin board, may well generate another shooter, who can put a 1911 in your hands to test drive. I take prospective 1911 shooters out to shoot my guns regularly. My local gun dealer, sends 'em to me, cause they're likely to stay close and buy from him. Even if you have to pay $50 to rent one, it may be better than spending $700 on a mistake.

Whatever works for ya.......

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #15

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

At my LGS, the owner and employees all open carry.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of operating a gun shop

without carrying.

Personally, I sacrifice ease of carry for something

larger, which I'm more comfortable with. This is just one

opinion, but consider either a 1911A1 or a S&W SS .357...

Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Become knowledgable about your products. Don't BS a customer ("let me check on that." is better than going on a rambling that the customer can see through).

I would rather see a clerk open the user's manual and read it to answer my questions than tell me that the .25ACP is the best "man stopper".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
I'm really struggling with this...
Admitedly, that is an odd combo there, kinda like Mother Theresa doing an advertisement for Trojan condoms. Takes all kinds though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I take prospective 1911 shooters out to shoot my guns regularly.
As of late, me too! (since I finally have a few flavors to share!)

Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would also agree with the sound advice given regarding trying out a number of different pieces, if you have the opportunity to do so, before making a decision. I would also say that for open carry a full size 1911 or Glock as you mentioned would not be too large for the job. In fact if the piece is to be used for self defense and concealment is not a requirement I would rather have the potential of the full size auto’s as regards larger sight radius, possibly grater magazine capacity, a larger platform to manage recoil, and the shear intimidation factor the larger pistol may bring to bear on your antagonist. I would opt for a piece that I know how to handle, know where it will shoot and that I have the utmost confidence in its reliability. These attributes usually only come from practicing with the same piece you intend to carry and on which your life or those of others may depend. Good luck.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine