Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Chossing a hand gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/chossing-hand-gun-45903/)

SmithKid308 07-28-2011 08:24 AM

Chossing a hand gun

I need a hand gun that is for ever day open carry, and self defense. I was thinking a 1911 or Glock would those be to large for that purpose ?

winds-of-change 07-28-2011 08:52 AM

I am no expert by far, but choose whatever fits your hand and one that you can shoot well and feel comfortable handling.

What prompts you to want to open carry?

SmithKid308 07-28-2011 09:00 AM

My job as a (soon to be) small town gun store owner, that is what prompts me to open carry

danf_fl 07-28-2011 10:38 AM

Check out other gun shops.
I would bet that most do not open carry (but have a firearm within easy reach).

I'm not saying that is not a good idea, but some people (possible potential customers) may get the incorrect impression.

winds-of-change 07-28-2011 11:46 AM

The gun shop I frequent has a gun behind the counter that is loaded and ready. The employees may be carrying but not openly.

Jay 07-28-2011 12:06 PM

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

winds-of-change 07-28-2011 12:13 PM

Jay, I agree. My first trip to the range, my friend placed an Uzi in my hands. Very easy and fun to shoot. I also shot an SKS and a couple other rifles. The heavy ones, he pulled a chair up for me and put the rifle on a rest. He asked if I wanted to shoot one of the pistols, I did, and it scared the heck out of me with the recoil. He apologized, put the Uzi back in my hands and watched me have fun. I agree, it's important to not scare a new shooter. I was hooked from that moment on.

My first gun is a GP100 and I just got a mark II. I have more fun shooting the Mark II.

canebrake 07-28-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmithKid308 (Post 551452)
My job as a (soon to be) small town gun store owner, that is what prompts me to open carry

If you're going to own a gun store, carry a different gun each day.

You should sort out the "best" in a year or two. :o

CHLChris 07-28-2011 01:56 PM

If open carry is your choice, then looks matter, right? It is really hard to beat a handsome 1911 with custom grips. It doesn't have that cowboy look of a revolver nor the wannabeacop look of a Glock.

I'm always surprised by who in my life is freaked out by guns. Some people just don't like to be around them and open carry is pretty in-your-face. I'm not sure that would be my choice.

In fact, I live in a state where OC is legal and it is NOT my choice.

orangello 07-28-2011 02:17 PM

I will agree with the "try it on for comfort" suggestions. Do you need a lighter weight firearm, maybe a polymer frame would be best. Do you want an attention getter that will help advertise your wares, carry what you sell or want to sell (1911, CAS revolver, Redhawk).

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 551479)
If you're going to own a gun store, carry a different gun each day.

You should sort out the "best" in a year or two. :o

That would be awesome!