choosing a sidearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > choosing a sidearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default choosing a sidearm

I am going to get my CCDW permit this spring and im not sure which pistol i

PHP Code:

want to use for carrying. I want either a taurus (times are tough and colt is too dang high)1911, or a Beretta .40 I have shot both and love both. I am just looking for a little guidance here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw4life09
I am going to get my CCDW permit this spring and im not sure which pistol i !want to use for carrying. I want either a taurus (times are tough and colt is too dang high)1911, or a Beretta .40 I have shot both and love both. I am just looking for a little guidance here.
The choice is up to you to make on your own. Get something you fill comfortable with. And something you have consistent accuracy with. I can say I don't care Taurus much. They are crap in my opinion. Bit that's just me. I have seen one brand new with a twisted barrel. But I'm sure not all of them are bad. Plus like I said that's just my opinion.

I do recommend you get something that is not to big. I dont know what anybody says. "I'm a big guy so I can carry my big hand cannon with no problem" I can tell you from experience. I bought in to this. I got a XD .45 sm for CC. I thought "hey I'm 6'2" 220 I can hide that very well. I was right I can hide it good but it is about as comfortable as sleeping on a dog house. And it with 2 extra mags fills like carrying a ruck sack in Nam.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Lbwar15 is right the decision is entirely up to you.If it was me picking the ccw I would pick the thinest, largest calibre,largest capacity,felt most comfortable and pointed most naturally in my hand firearm that I could find.Know that the larger the pistol the more it will print and the more uncomfortable it will be to carry.The smaller the pistol the less capacity you have.In the end it's all you're choice.I suggest trying out a few different options carrying the way you intend to carry and try to figure if you'd be comfortable with it for about 10-14 hrs.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Rock Island makes a decent 1911. RIA is comparable to Taurus in pricing. I would check out a Rock Island Armory 1911 before I committed to a Taurus. The officers model is designed for concealed carry. It takes a big man to conceal a milspec 1911.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Taurus made the worst and only gun I have ever sold off right away. A Taurus semi auto. It did everything a semi auto should not do. It failed to feed, failed to fire, stove-piped - failed to eject, and ejected back into the shooter's face.
This with three different shooters operating the the gun. One refused to shoot it anymore - after three firing.
Truly a disaster of a gun - and it was brand new - in 2012.

Others have other complaints with Taurus semi-autos, I understand.

Just my experience - what ever it may be worth.

I will not own a Taurus semi-auto...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Smith and Wesson M&P. American made. Lifetime warranty. Nuff said.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a taurus revolver that is very good IMO. I used to have a Taurus 1911 with the rail but the only reason I sold it is because the dimentions of the rail made finding a quality holster all but impossible. It was a very reliable gun though, I only ever had one fte on a very weak handload so i will take the credit for that. I bought my dad the PT 1911 AL for his birthday and that gun is very nice. It has the aluminum frame so it is light (for a 1911) and like mine, will shoot and cycle any ammo that you can dream of putting through it. If i was going to carry a taurus 1911, that would be the one. You will get lots of taurus bashers online and i am sure there are bad guns out there, but from my experience, their 1911's and older wheel guns are well built. This is coming from a self proclaimed s&w fanboy. The only handgun I own at the moment that is not a smith is that old taurus revolver and i don't think i will ever get rid of it.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Finding the right CC is always a compromise. I have 3 for different conditions. It's like buying footwear. You don't wear spitshined shoes to hunt, you don't wear hunting boots to the beach. You get the picture.

If price is a concern look into pre-owned guns. And like others here I don't recommend Taurus semi-autos although some of their revolver models like the 65 are well-made and dependable.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #9

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Check out the Bersa Thunder9 UltraCompact Pro in 9mm. It is my CCW and awesome quality arcs reasonable price. Capacity 13+1.
Check out the Bersa BP9CC their new polymer subcompact in 9mm and also reasinsy priced. Capacity 8+1. That will be a future purchase for me and its getting five star reviews too just like my Thunder.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

A CCW should be concealable. Take a look at the SIG P239

Winston Churchill