Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > choosing a gun for left handed wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This might be of interest for your wife...
Charter Southpaw #93820

I have always loved the simplicity of a revolver, Ruger GP100/SP101 in paticular...... but decided to try out Charter's Southpaw for myself. It has cut reload time in half on average, because of where the cylinder release is located, and the direction of where the cylinder opens towards. ( Exact opposite of your average wheel gun.) The grip angle/feel is very much like a Rossi 38 that I own, only less weight overall due to the Aluminum 7075 frame.
So....unless Ruger comes ount with lefty versions of the GP-100/SP101, my new favorite wheel gun is this one.

As for semiauto's......my favorite flavor has been the Glock-19 (no brass in my face with them either. I tap the mag realease using left index finger, and rack the slide, skipping the slide release altogether.
That is until the summer before last. ( Found a Springfield Armory XD40 service at 125 even, and have been happy with it ever since). It just feels better in my 'left mitt', and I shoot fairly decent with the thing. The ambi mag release is convenient for me as it took me awhile to 're-train' myself to use it with the left thumb vs left index finger. No brass at the mug with the XD either. Currently eyeballin the XDM with interest as of late.

For what it's worth, the only time I had brass hit me was while shooting an ole worn out M9 at work. Only happened with this gun in paticular.

Grunt

Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlue View Post
I'm a lefty shooter. I've always used XDs when it comes to semi-auto configurations. they have an ambidextrous mag release. I pull back on the slide with my right hand when I need to release it after reloading. Never had any problems, nor have I been hit in the face with spent brass.
I second the XD with the ambidextrous mag release.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brass in the face owing to the hand holding the weapon shouldn't be an issue with any gun. I routinely shoot weak-handed and it's never taken a gun so far left and so far back that the brass hits me.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #14

thanks to every one for there comments. I think im bieng selfish but i really liked my glock 17 when i had it and i think she should get one so that i can also shoot it at the range. my other question would be about the beretta 92 fs... I did a lot of reading and im comfused on the reviews. i like the gun becouse it can be used with left and right handed users. the next question is about one of the comments a user said that a gun can be changed to shoot out the left side, can someone go into more detail about this and is it possible to do it to the glock.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Brass in the face owing to the hand holding the weapon shouldn't be an issue with any gun. I routinely shoot weak-handed and it's never taken a gun so far left and so far back that the brass hits me.
I once had a pistol that would throw brass at my head. After shooting through a magazine, I would tilt my head forward and two or three casings would run off my hat.

BTW, I shoot right-handed.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogunlaws View Post
thanks to every one for there comments. I think im bieng selfish but i really liked my glock 17 when i had it and i think she should get one so that i can also shoot it at the range. my other question would be about the beretta 92 fs... I did a lot of reading and im comfused on the reviews. i like the gun becouse it can be used with left and right handed users. the next question is about one of the comments a user said that a gun can be changed to shoot out the left side, can someone go into more detail about this and is it possible to do it to the glock.
Do you and your wife a favor and get an XD as opposed to another Glock. You WILL NOT regret it. I've owned both Glocks and XDs. . . now I just own XDs.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 01-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogunlaws View Post
The Berettaa 92 is very heavy with a long DA triger pull and a size frame that normally fits only large handed folks which normally does not include the female persuassion.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #18

My wife is a southpaw and she likes her S&W 63 and Ruger Mk II. Lately she has taken a shine to my cZ 75s. I would like to get her a true left hand semi auto and a left hand Charter. She has left hand Carl Gustaf rifles and a left hand T22 with which she is a remarkable shot. Take her out and let her try as many firearms as you can, then let her choose.