choosing a gun for left handed wife
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > choosing a gun for left handed wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default choosing a gun for left handed wife

hey guys love the site , I visit the site often and i decided to join. I would appreciate any insight to my question. ok. I recently moved with my wife for a better life but things are really tight at the moment and we had to move into a town that we arent used to and i have to work night and my wife is scared becouse there is allot of drug addicts and break ins in the neighbour hood. I was thinking of getting her a gun but I dont know what to get her becouse she is left handed . I was thinking of the glock 17 but i worry that the magazine release might get in the way. I chose glock becouse i had one but sold it so that i can afford the bills and now that we moved I regret it. Any recomendations guy.I would rather pay bills than get a pistol but i guess there is no price for me knowing that she is atleast safe and it gives me a sense of relief and i can do my job better with out worying. sorry for the horible writing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Revolver would work well. Lefties may have a problem with getting hit in the face with hot brass from an autoloading pistol. Just a thought.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #3

it doesnt matter if the shells hits her , she is only going to use the gun for self difence when im not home. i was thinking of getting her a revolver but im lost on which one to get her becouse she is 110 pounds and 5'5". i was thinking of getting her the beretta 93 fs but its to big.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'd go with a Ruger 38+p or .357. Lots of configurations and can be had for a decent price yet still a solid gun.

Autoloader, Springfield XD. These are just great pistols for the money and the prices are being driven down because XD's are everywhere. Think of them as a superglock.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

110lbs and 5'5 is quite big to shoot almost any handgun out there. I would get her one that is easy enough for her to shoot in the dark, and has a big enough capacity to allow her to stop any threat without reloading. She should know how to reload...but less steps is better. I recently got a Springfield XD in 9mm its a 3in sub compact. I LOVE it. You can shoot it left handed (I tried due to a wrist injury). But if you can swing it, I would get her a dog...a loud one that alerts when anyone is close. It doesn't need to be big. I have a 30lb dog that will mess you up. If its just her and no kids I would make sure she can get out of the house 3 different ways and knows to fight and run. I have many girlfriends who think you should listen to badguys. just do what they say and everyone will be "fine" um no thank you.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
Revolver would work well. Lefties may have a problem with getting hit in the face with hot brass from an autoloading pistol. Just a thought.
OK. . . this NEVER has been a problem for me and I've been a left handed shooter for. . . ummmm. . . MY WHOLE LIFE.

As a lefty, here's my .02.

Any way you look at it us lefty's usually require one more motion to reload than righty's. The slide release on modern semis is always on the left side of the gun, (except maybe certain models for lefty's, but I've never seen them) and intended to be activated by the right thumb. However if the gun is to be shot using the left hand you either have to a.) use your left index to swipe the slide release. (this can be a stretch depending on the model and requires a good amount of pressure) or b.) Keep hold of gun w/ left hand and bring your right thumb over to release slide. Either situation should be well practiced and neither are very desirable in self-defense mode.

Lefty's help me if I'm leaving something out.

Over the years I've found revolvers to be quicker and easier to reload, FOR ME. Once last cartridge is fired I simply flop the gun into my right hand, release the cylinder with right thumb, move my left ring and middle fingers into frame and use them to hold cylinder firm, while working ejector rod to get rid of spent shells with my left index. Then the speed loader comes out of any right pocket, using right hand to load and release new cartridges. Close cylinder with left thumb, while in motion transfer firearm to left hand and you're good for another 6.

Then there's the third option of ordering a left handed configured weapon or learning to shoot right handed. Both of those are expensive and I've found it sucks to try and learn anything right handed, being a lefty.

Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #7

I would look at the Rock Island Tactical. It has an ambidextrous safety, and is a good shooter. But the bottom line is let her handle and shoot a few candidates, you could buy her what you or anybody considers the perfect gun for her, but she is the one who has to shoot it. Don't think of it as a defense only item, she needs range time with it as well. Your wife having a gun she isn't proficient with should be about the same peace of mind as her having a sharpened stick to defend herself with while you are away.
Let her decide what is too big, you may be surprised. I bought my wife a Bersa .380 thinking it was the perfect first pistol for her.... I was wrong, she regularly shoots my .45's with ease and lethal accuracy.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Since you like Glocks, the Gen 4 Glocks have reversible magazine releases. The slide release isn't reversible, but she can always "slingshot" the slide.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

I'm a lefty shooter. I've always used XDs when it comes to semi-auto configurations. they have an ambidextrous mag release. I pull back on the slide with my right hand when I need to release it after reloading. Never had any problems, nor have I been hit in the face with spent brass.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

My wife is a lefty and her carry guns are a Kimber UltraCarry in .45 ACP with an ambi-safety and a Kahr P9 which has no external safety so it's not an issue. She has been trained to operate the mag release with her trigger finger and she releases the slides by pulling them back with her right hand and letting go so slide release controls are a non issue.

She shoots IDPA with both guns and her times are as good as any right hander and better than most.