Which to choose?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which to choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Which to choose?

Looking at S&W Sigma and Ruger SR9 . Just getting into semi-auto and looking for a good carry gun. Both of these in my price range. Also can't decide between 40s&w or 9mm. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Sigma and SR9 are similar in that each had some issues when they were first released, but both have been upgraded and are much better pistols now, so make sure you are comparing the latest versions of each. Opinions will vary, (some will be very strong one way or the other) but bottom line is handle each one and determine which feels better in your hand, and which functionality (safeties, slide releases, etc) feel best. I'd suggest starting with a 9mm, only because they are much more pleasant to shoot and someday, hopefully, the 9mm ammo will be much cheaper.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If possible try and shoot both guns, and take the one that "feels" the best. As for 9mm vs. .40S&W, you'll hear a lot of different opinions. Ideally I'd like to have a semi-automatic that shoots .45ACP, holds 20+ rounds, have the size of a small .38 snubbie, and weighs in at 15 ounces loaded.

A semi-automatic like that does not exist... so you compromise. As you chip off a bit here, and a bit there, you end up with something like the Sigma, or the SR9. ....or like in my case the SIG P250 in 9mm.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I have had both and I prefer the Sigma, I liked the SR9 just fine and it was a great shooting pistol with larger capacity but had the pre-recall trigger, then I sent it in for the new trigger, and when I got it back, was not happy with the way the trigger felt.
Some will say the trigger is not the best on the Sigma but I have no issues with it.
Go to a range and rent both if you can and see which when you like and go for it.
I currently use my Sigma in .357sig for carry purposes.

Last edited by Shihan; 02-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

Both have a well deserved reputation as inexpensive, reliable guns. Both are good choices. Get which ever one fits your hand best.
I have experience with both. I consider the Sigma more concealable.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Default Thanks all !

Really appreciate rhe replys you guys sent . Very good information and helpful. Went to a gun show today "no sigma's to be had" and the guy that had SR9's didn't seem interested in selling was involved talking to a buddy, I waited 10 min. with no notice that I was there. But no problem got more time than money and am in no hurry . My S&W Model 36 will serve. THANKS AGAIN.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sigma proces

My local gun shop is running a special, on-line, for the Sigma SW9VE & the SW40VE for $349 and beyond that there's a $50 rebate. Total cost $299. Where can you get a better deal?
Check it out at : Double Action Indoor Shooting Center and Gun Shop
Jack

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19