Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Which to choose? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choose-23342/)

curly45 02-12-2010 08:04 PM

Which to choose?

Looking at S&W Sigma and Ruger SR9 . Just getting into semi-auto and looking for a good carry gun. Both of these in my price range. Also can't decide between 40s&w or 9mm. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Missileman 02-12-2010 08:19 PM

The Sigma and SR9 are similar in that each had some issues when they were first released, but both have been upgraded and are much better pistols now, so make sure you are comparing the latest versions of each. Opinions will vary, (some will be very strong one way or the other) but bottom line is handle each one and determine which feels better in your hand, and which functionality (safeties, slide releases, etc) feel best. I'd suggest starting with a 9mm, only because they are much more pleasant to shoot and someday, hopefully, the 9mm ammo will be much cheaper.

MB44 02-12-2010 08:20 PM

If possible try and shoot both guns, and take the one that "feels" the best. As for 9mm vs. .40S&W, you'll hear a lot of different opinions. Ideally I'd like to have a semi-automatic that shoots .45ACP, holds 20+ rounds, have the size of a small .38 snubbie, and weighs in at 15 ounces loaded. :rolleyes:

A semi-automatic like that does not exist... so you compromise. As you chip off a bit here, and a bit there, you end up with something like the Sigma, or the SR9. ....or like in my case the SIG P250 in 9mm.

Shihan 02-12-2010 08:38 PM

I have had both and I prefer the Sigma, I liked the SR9 just fine and it was a great shooting pistol with larger capacity but had the pre-recall trigger, then I sent it in for the new trigger, and when I got it back, was not happy with the way the trigger felt.
Some will say the trigger is not the best on the Sigma but I have no issues with it.
Go to a range and rent both if you can and see which when you like and go for it.
I currently use my Sigma in .357sig for carry purposes.

jimbobpissypants 02-12-2010 11:48 PM

Both have a well deserved reputation as inexpensive, reliable guns. Both are good choices. Get which ever one fits your hand best.
I have experience with both. I consider the Sigma more concealable.

curly45 02-13-2010 07:54 PM

Thanks all !

Really appreciate rhe replys you guys sent . Very good information and helpful. Went to a gun show today "no sigma's to be had" and the guy that had SR9's didn't seem interested in selling was involved talking to a buddy, I waited 10 min. with no notice that I was there. But no problem got more time than money and am in no hurry . My S&W Model 36 will serve. THANKS AGAIN.:)

jackg 02-13-2010 08:35 PM

Sigma proces

My local gun shop is running a special, on-line, for the Sigma SW9VE & the SW40VE for $349 and beyond that there's a $50 rebate. Total cost $299. Where can you get a better deal?
Check it out at : Double Action Indoor Shooting Center and Gun Shop
Jack