Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Choice of words (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choice-words-38525/)

NGIB 02-15-2011 08:17 PM

Choice of words

Saw a couple of posts this morning that bothered me - but a little digression first. Every gun owner, especially those that have chosen to own a gun for personal defense, has an obligation to represent our "community" properly. If you don't think the Brady's and other anti-gun organizations peruse forums such as this - you are very naive. If you post something inflammatory or poorly phrased you cast a shadow over all of us.

I'll provide just a single example of what I'm getting at and hopefully it will make sense. You are sleeping in your home and your front door is kicked in and someone enters your home. Choose how you describe your actions from the following two statements:

1. I'm going to grab my gun and kill the intruder for violating my home.

2. I'm going to do what's necessary to eliminate the threat.

If you choose to engage with your firearm choose one of the following two statements:

1. I'm going to shoot to kill.

2. I'm going to shoot to stop the threat.

Yes, it's semantics but it's very important that we represent ourselves as cool rational people that consider using a firearm as a last resort. We must show we bear this responsibility very seriously and understand the gravity of using a firearm. I'll be honest when I say I bristle when I see someone use the phrase "shoot to kill" as it just looks uncivilized and crude.

Just something for y'all to think about. We are all front-line ambassadors of the firearms community and we need the support - not the contempt of folks that don't necessarily believe as we do...

dunerunner 02-15-2011 08:25 PM

Good points well taken! I will watch my semantics. :D

canebrake 02-15-2011 08:27 PM

+1 Dave, although I would have said;

"I shoot to live."

and,

"If innocent life doesn't immediately depend on it, don't shoot. And if it does, don't miss!"

amoroque 02-15-2011 09:19 PM

Good points NGIB!

danf_fl 02-15-2011 09:22 PM

Sometimes in trying to get our point across, other unsaid things hitch a ride.

Please be careful in what you say.

Good post Dave!

colmustard 02-15-2011 09:27 PM

Good post! It is important for us to remember to watch what we say, even though sometimes we say things in a joking manner it can be misunderstood and taken serious. Its kinda sad we have to watch ourselves and we can't joke as much, but its the way it is and saving a life or taking a life is nothing to joke about. Thanks for reminding us of our duties.:D

NGIB 02-15-2011 10:05 PM

I like humor as much as the next person, but guns and using them are a very serious business. We just need to remember that it's real easy for things we say to be misconstrued and taken out of context. I don't consider this being "politically correct", more like "mature & responsible"...

colmustard 02-16-2011 04:34 AM

I agree sir

Mr. Bluesky 02-16-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 446188)
+1 Dave, although I would have said;

"I shoot to live."

and,

"If innocent life doesn't immediately depend on it, don't shoot. And if it does, don't miss!"

Sigg'd the latter. You should have to repeat that a thousand times in order to get a CPL.

HKSlinger 02-16-2011 04:28 PM

Very good. Someone make this a sticky.