Cheapie 9mm - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Cheapie 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
I love my smith and wesson 9mm it has never jammed or misfed and has two 16rd mags buds has them on sale for 299 S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $299.00 i believe that for the money or even if it was more its one hell of a gun its easy to take apart and clean and a blast to shoot feels good in my hand a rail to mount stuff on i got a laser on mine
I have seen those Sigma's go for $225 basic model to $300 with adj. sights and a laser. Only problem you have a long heavy trigger pull that the anti-gun crowd thinks makes a pistol safer... when it makes it harder to shoot accurately. You can only smooth out so much of a firearms action... part of it also is the piss poor design. Such as in the Sigma, low leverage. Not sure what the deal is with the HPs though... I will say this... if it's brand name initials are HP, its may perform decently, but leaves loads of room for performance increase....

Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #62

I've never owned a Hi Point, but have a friend who has a 9mm, his mom has a .380, and his brother has a .45. According to him, they're all over 5 yrs. old and get shot on a regular basis without a single failure yet other than a FTF using steel-cased Wolf ammo in the 9mm. I think they look like ass covered in crap, but they seem to fuction well. I'd rather have a mil-surp (I carry a PA-63 and used to carry a Star Modelo Super in 9mm Largo), but if it works and you like it, who are we to judge?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #63

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Good to hear it!!

Do you think polishing out all the roughness would help anything in terms of accuracy or reliability? Hard to believe it's that accurate.
This will be a question better minds will have to answer.

The barrel is fixed, I'm not sure what that means as far as accuracy. I'm told that improves accuracy, but everyting I have with a non fixed barrel seems more accurate to me.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Sarges suggestion, I tend to always do feed ramps, I'll let use smooth everything else out.

It came with a ghost ring sight, I've never seen one on a pistol before, and don't see myself installing that.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #64

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Back at the first of the year I pick up this NIB PA-63 for KBI imports,I got this package and and extra mag for $275. The next week I got a set of RCBS dies the shop owner found covered in dust in the back for $25 ordered some cast bullets,and converted over a couple 100 9mm cases to 9 x 18 Mak. It's a fun little gun to shoot very accurate and cost me about $4.50 a box of 50 reloads.

Cheapie 9mm - General Handgun Discussion

Last edited by res45; 09-30-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
Back at the first of the year I pick up this NIB PA-63 for KBI imports,I got this package and and extra mag for $275. The next week I got a set of RCBS dies the shop owner found covered in dust in the back for $25 ordered some cast bullets,and converted over a couple 100 9mm cases to 9 x 18 Mak. It's a fun little gun to shoot very accurate and cost me about $4.50 a box of 50 reloads.

Cheapie 9mm - General Handgun Discussion
I never used steel core in any of my 9mm mak. pistols. I turn down 9mm luger brass (the RCBS case trimmer's shortest setting puts it at perfect length) to ensure a good gas seal, as that is the #1 reported issue with steel cased ammunition (improper expansion/seal) and in a blowback pistol that is not a good thing. Steel cases will expand less than brass, and also have a spring back effect, as brass will expand and hold its expanded shape, steel does not. I only use steel cases 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R surplus and retail ammo because it is the cheapest thing for plinking and general use. If SHTF and I had to employ an AK, I am using brass cased 7.62x39 with some 125 ballistic tip .308 bullets in my home assembled AK with a custom american made .308 diameter barrel (which I have marked on the receiver DO NOT USE WITH STANDARD 7.62X39 AMMUNITION, .308 BORE, USE ONLY .308 BULLET LOADED AMMUNITION, for safety purposes) so that I could have such bullets for it. Hey it takes down deer much better than soft point... and if I ever had to use it for defensive purposes, I have my 1500 rounds loaded up in the can, and 8 magazines with red electrical tape around the middle for being able to differentiate... I also never take that AK out (its my tactical AK for defense use) with any others to avoid mixing up ammo/magazines. Keep it all seperate... anyway, back to the point (damn pain meds for this pinched nerve... lol) Steel cases ammo makes weapons dirty due to this, create erratic velocities and recoil. I put in an extra power spring in my makarovs, and PA63, and with brass cases loaded with 3.3 grains of N310, with hornady 95 grain XTPs on top, small magnum primers, I am hitting right around 1000fps and all within 30fps, nice accurate, and opens the JHP/XTP rounds nicely with the trimmed 9mm luger cases. I mark these cases with some cheap ass bright green and red fingernail polish (99 cent store variety) to make identification easy and not to mix it with regular 9mm luger casings. the lacquer nail polish withstands many loading, does not effect accuracy, and works just as fine (well the fire forming first loading will not be as accurate... but subsequent loadings will be better) as the hornady boxed ammunition. With the extra power spring it cycles nice and smooth, and reduced the impact into the hand greatly, so shooting it all day does not hurt. I also shoot a cast lead 100 grain load with 3 grains N310 and regular SP primers at about 950fps with a spread of about 25 fps. I use these for initial loading in the trimmed 9mm luger brass. Never had a failure as the 9mm luger brass has a thicker web/head on it, or extraction. The lead loads are really soft shooters in the maks. sure i have only known one lady who could cycle it with the stronger spring (a 22# spring in the little pistol makes it a stiff slide) however all the ladies who have fired it have even commented on its nice easy soft recoil. However with that spring it is more prone to stovepipe with a limp wrist, as the muzzle flip is still present, however its easier to manage. If you have any feeling of impact when firing, upgrade the spring, as most maks and mak chambered pistols have worn/old springs. I also added a very slight change in the way the slide catch mechanism works allowing the thumb release to be easier to operate, as it is almost as stiff as a D.Eagle slide catch with the stronger spring. Great thing about blowback pistols, and most semi autos is the ability to simply change a spring to fire reduced loads. i have a 90 grain load that has a MV of about 850 fps, that I can use the 18# stock spring and it cycles just like the 100 grain or 95 grain XTP loads do.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #66

I only shot one box of the steel case ammo through mine since I've had it,just wanted to get some rds. through it while I waited on my cast bullets and Speer GDHP to come in. Shoots better in my friends CZ-82 than the PA-63. I use a load of 3.5 grs of W231.WSP primer and a 93 gr. RN cast bullet and 4.0 grs. W231 topped with the Speer 90 gr. GDHP both shoot around 1 1/2" groups at 25' and I'm happy with that out of the little pistol.

Reloading the 7.62 x 39mm
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=30961.0

Last edited by res45; 09-30-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #67

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

res45, that is a very nice looing PA-63. A NIB isn't too common these days.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #68

Thanks.Ya I lucked up on that one,saw it in the gun shop smoked it over went back a week later and it was still there so I bought it. My brother has the same pistol his was used but in excellent shape and I love shooting his.

I tried to get one online several times but they we always sold out,plus all the extra hassle and fees pushed the price up,so I didn't feel to bad walking out the door and paying $175 for the pistol itself.

Last edited by res45; 10-01-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Newest Threads