Cheap is good enough - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cheap is good enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm a major fan and supporter of the turk and flip 1911 markets. I think you'll find the majority if not all here are too. I'm actually looking at picking up one of the very same, commander model, here in the near future.
+1

I also love the Turkish CZ-75 clones. They are inexpensive but they're no way the cheap guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #72

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

So much information.

Someone mentioned "reverse snobbery", of which I simply think of as envy. To be frank, I think attributing the feelings of snobbery to simple envy is a bit intellectually lazy. "They don't like my HK because they can't afford an HK" is pretty much the definition of snobbery. Again, not accusing anyone here, but it is a poor argument. I'm sure there is envy out there.

Personally, I think the SIG P226 is a work of art. It's strictly utilitarian design comes across as impressive and compelling unlike the simple blockiness of a Glock. I think the true genius of SIGArms/SIG Sauer was the creation of the SIGPro line with the culmination of the 2022. A SIG pistol that is more in reach of the masses. I wouldn't put it up against a P226 for overall fit and finish, but generally the 2022 is perceived as a damn fine pistol. Possibly an object lesson although you do see Smith and Wesson pursuing a similar marketting strategy with their handgun lines as well.

Also, frankly, envy or reverse snobbery doesn't hurt anyone. Convincing someone not to buy a gun because it is not "your brand" is possibly leaving them disarmed when they'll need to be otherwise. Again, the article originally linked a woman saved her own life with the gun that personifies the "Saturday Night Special". I've seen the RG 22 in action, it is as unimpressive as a handgun can be and still fire. I would not entrust my life to it, yet it still saved a life.

Good advice given was "Buy the best you can afford". The best is not always the gun with the highest price tag. Everyone has different needs. Still, there is little to debate that a higher level of quality often will come with a higher price tag. I am compelled by Taurus products but do not own one because of a dodgy reputation. I know they are working to fix it and I hope they do. For the same price as many Taurus semiauto handguns, I can pick up a Ruger P-series. A relatively low cost weapon with a rock solid reputation for reliability. As a former P89 owner, I can attest to how robust these weapons are.

On the other hand, you really cannot knock someone who has spent the better part of a grand on an HK 45. Those are some great guns. What I can knock is when the owners insist that everyone should own an HK, or an overseas SIG, or a should drop $2k on a 1911 derivative. That is just flat out a lack of perspective.

I also refuse to cling to a brand. I know Taurus owners who love their guns. I've read a blog about a guy who owns many firearms and even had some bad Taurus weapons but will praise his Taurus PT1911 night and day.

I didn't hesitate to buy a Ruger 10/22 but I see people who inquire after Marlins, Savages, and Remingtons because they simply don't want to spend $200 or more on a plinker. Fine, I get it. (I could also argue you'll save money buy shooting a gun that will digest the cheapest of the cheap ammo, but that's a different point altogether)

I won't spend $500 on a .22 handgun. That makes no sense to me, yet Ruger offers the LCR in .22 at a price tag that makes my eyes bug out. Someone is buying it.

The point I am trying to make and was originally trying to make is I go out of my way not to judge the choices of other people. Which is hard because there is a part of me that wants to think the parameters that led me to my choice of handgun is what everyone should use. A normal human reaction. Yet when I step outside my biases and put myself in the other person's shoes, I can get behind their choice.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #73

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Naw -just yanking you're chain-
SHould I tell him or should you that people in First Class don't die in crashes...

Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #74

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
SHould I tell him or should you that people in First Class don't die in crashes...
NO!! Everyone will want one

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #75

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Bottom line here; if you cant afford the gun snobbery expensive route buy what you can AFFORD to protect your life and the lives of loved ones! Awesome robust and reliable and dependable firearms exist for WELL UNDER $500 bucks EXISTS! Do your research!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #76

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

The gun snobs that promote their elitist brands can go take a hike! Many ROBUST and dependable firearms exist for WELL UNDER $500 bucks! Get a life! Most of us are "every day Joes" that can't afford your recommendations!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #77

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop
The gun snobs that promote their elitist brands can go take a hike! Many ROBUST and dependable firearms exist for WELL UNDER $500 bucks! Get a life! Most of us are "every day Joes" that can't afford your recommendations!!!
Jeeze---Chill

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #78

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop
Yet, you appear to be sporting an avatar pic of a $1200 gun...
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #79
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are two types of gun snobs.

the expensive ones who believe in owning the most expensive and if yours is not just as expensive or as nice, then yours is cheap junk.

then there are the cheap snobs who try and justify their cheap guns by ridiculing those who can afford more expensive and higher quality guns.

either groups, IMO are idiots. one group thinks they are better than others just because they can afford more expensive firearms, and the other group is just jealous they can't afford better so they badmouth those who can.

afford the best you can, but spend wisely as well. don't badmouth others because they can afford to spend more or because they can't. any well made firearm if taken care of will last a lifetime and can be handed down to your children, so take care of them, enjoy them and cherish the time spent using them. gun are more than just tools, but part of our history and legacy. some become family heirlooms to be passed from generation to generation. any one of any firearm i own, probably costs more than the entire set of guns my grandfather bought, but when the time comes and they are passed on to me, they will be prized items in my collection and displayed and shot with great pride and joy.

my last thoughts on this are, treat others as you want them to treat you. the person who can only afford a used, inexpensive pistol at the range, admires the high end custom 1911 you're shooting, thank him and treat him like a person. and just because the fellow sooting next to you has an expensive firearm he's shooting, don't look down your nose at him. don't think someones a snob just because they can afford a nicer gun than you.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

27 years ago when I was getting a divorce, I spent a year living in a place at the princely price of $190 per month. It was more like a prison camp than an apartment complex. When I went to work or returned from work, I had to walk toward one doorway, then quickly run (literally) to a different door so I could leave or return to my apartment in one piece. I had thugs trying to get my apartment door open all hours of the night. I could hear people assaulting each other in the hallways at night. The only gun I had was an infamous RG Industries Model 40 - a snubnosed .38 special made of cast iron, that was known to be more dangerous to the shooter than it was to the shootee. I paid $50 for it, because it was all I could afford. But since the perps spent a fair amount of time peeping thru the keyhole of my apartment door, the word spread around that I had a gun. I think that cheap gun is why I am still alive today.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 12-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.
People Like This