Cheap is good enough - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cheap is good enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
For the same reason I'd also choose a Corvette (or just about any other) over a Smart Car too. Given a choice. Their not having a choice doesn't mean we should elevate them to "noble savage" status?

Pretend we are pedestrian? On a firearms forum!?
Thats exactly wat i thought most (me at least) were saying-
IF you can afford better why buy minimum?
If a $100 gun is wat you can really afford i see zero shame in that-
I been there-
I just recommend you buy the best you can afford - be it guns or airline seats--

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 12-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #62

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

This can go on forever.

Personally, I have no problem calling these guns cheap, they are, from a comparative standpoint.

They're literally, factually, cheaper quality parts with simplified designs which is cheaper to assemble, and this translates into cheaper to buy. That doesn't mean they don't still go bang, rather, just that they're less likely to do so for a lifetime and more prone to failures. Now that doesn't mean they absolutely will fail, just that, on a comparative scale to higher quality arms of higher quality materials and manufacturing, they will be more likely to. Not to the degree these libellous and frantic Internet John Waynes want you to believe, but still, as an apples to apples comparison, more so.

I still think every gun owner ought to have one of these in their collection. Every one I've experienced has been more accurate than anything else comparable. Why? Fixed barrels I'd guess. I still don't understand why any company uses floating barrels. Sure you can take out to finish and clean, maybe even rerifle if you're into that, but these things can still be done while attached to the frame. But that's neither here nor there and only my opinion.

Anyway, I love my cheap guns. They're ugly, over weight and nothing to be showing off with pride at the range, but they still serve the same purpose and anyone who doesn't recognize this and the fact that they're just as applicable a choice for protection as any other is ignorant and incorrect.

Any gun can come out of the box with problems. Every gun you get should be test fired and broken in before depended upon to save one's life. Every gun should be shot on a reasonably regular basis not only to keep oneself trained and accurate, but also to ensure functionality of that which you put your life in the hands of. These are what prevent an undesired and unexpected failure when performance is what you need from your firearm.

And all this BS about airline seats is the worst comparison point ever made. If the plane goes down no one is less likely to die because of their seat placement or the cost of it. The ground and gravity play and have no favorites. What a foolish thing to've even brought up.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-19-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
This can go on forever.

Personally, I have no problem calling these guns cheap, they are, from a comparative standpoint.

They're literally, factually, cheaper quality parts with simplified designs which is cheaper to assemble, and this translates into cheaper to buy. That doesn't mean they don't still go bang, rather, just that they're less likely to do so for a lifetime and more prone to failures. Now that doesn't mean they absolutely will fail, just that, on a comparative scale to higher quality arms of higher quality materials and manufacturing, they will be more likely to. Not to the degree these libellous and frantic Internet John Waynes want you to believe, but still, as an apples to apples comparison, more so.

I still think every gun owner ought to have one of these in their collection. Every one I've experienced has been more accurate than anything else comparable. Why? Fixed barrels I'd guess. I still don't understand why any company uses floating barrels. Sure you can take out to finish and clean, maybe even rerifle if you're into that, but these things can still be done while attached to the frame. But that's neither here nor there and only my opinion.

Anyway, I love my cheap guns. They're ugly, over weight and nothing to be showing off with pride at the range, but they still serve the same purpose and anyone who doesn't recognize this and the fact that they're just as applicable a choice for protection as any other is ignorant and incorrect.

Any gun can come out of the box with problems. Every gun you get should be test fired and broken in before depended upon to save one's life. Every gun should be shot on a reasonably regular basis not only to keep oneself trained and accurate, but also to ensure functionality of that which you put your life in the hands of. These are what prevent an undesired and unexpected failure when performance is what you need from your firearm.

And all this BS about airline seats is the worst comparison point ever made. If the plane goes down no one is less likely to die because of their seat placement or the cost of it. The ground and gravity play and have no favorites. What a foolish thing to've even brought up.
Yet there it is again-----

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

Yet there it is again-----
Criky, did I miss something or rehash a point already put to bed? Thought I read thru it all. Lol

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #65

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

I very much agree with the basic premise of this article.

I own 2 Deltons and they work great.
Now since i make good coin and I enjoy guns I ordered Daniel Defense last night, which I had always coveted.

But thats more for the fun and pleasure factor of knowing I own such a finely tuned machine and I cant wait to recive it

But my Delton one which I bought for just under 800 Bucks, 3 months ago has carpenter 158 steel extractor. 4150 barrell,MPI/HT tested bolt and barrell. CL barrel and chamber.
They are probbaly better weapons than our fathers went to war with in Vietnam:
My other Delton enjoys the same specs ( and a STAG lower) but everything else is Delton but it has a YHM rail added for alll together 920 shipped.
Boht are HBAR because thats how I like it .

In all fairness to more expensive builder neither has great finish on the upper.. and one of the uppers had a imperfect picatinny which I sent back and had fixed, which they replaced w/ another w/o arguement.
100_0355.jpg   100_0302.jpg  

Last edited by bluez; 12-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Criky, did I miss something or rehash a point already put to bed? Thought I read thru it all. Lol
Naw -just yanking you're chain-

Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #67

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You just don't go telling a guy who worked hard and saved up $500 so he can finally get that new gun, "hey bud, that's a cheap gun."

It just ain't right.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
You just don't go telling a guy who worked hard and saved up $500 so he can finally get that new gun, "hey bud, that's a cheap gun."

It just ain't right.
I didn't think anyone has ever called a $500 gun cheap. Not even in this thread. Am I missing something here or is he?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #69

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I didn't think anyone has ever called a $500 gun cheap. Not even in this thread. Am I missing something here or is he?
Was I talking to you? LOL

No, I was trying to make a point in general. I have often read where people use the word "Philippine" or "Turkish" or other foreign made gun to replace the word cheap in their description. I forgot we were talking about Hi-Point guns. They are definitely affordable, kind of cool but not the prettiest gun on the shelf.

I bought a Metro Arms (Philippine) American Classic Government Model for just under $500 that has +/- 1,000 rounds through it now. It has not had one failure of any kind, even after shooting all kinds of ammo, including TulAmmo, and using $6 GI mags up to Wilson Combat mags. On top of that, as a rookie hand gun owner, I can keep most of my shots in the 9 and 10 circles at 15 yds. As for me, I couldn't have purchased a better gun, just a more expensive one.

And for the record, I recently bought Colt that I shoot just as well, or poorly.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post

Was I talking to you? LOL

No, I was trying to make a point in general. I have often read where people use the word "Philippine" or "Turkish" or other foreign made gun to replace the word cheap in their description. I forgot we were talking about Hi-Point guns. They are definitely affordable, kind of cool but not the prettiest gun on the shelf.

I bought a Metro Arms (Philippine) American Classic Government Model for just under $500 that has +/- 1,000 rounds through it now. It has not had one failure of any kind, even after shooting all kinds of ammo, including TulAmmo, and using $6 GI mags up to Wilson Combat mags. On top of that, as a rookie hand gun owner, I can keep most of my shots in the 9 and 10 circles at 15 yds. As for me, I couldn't have purchased a better gun, just a more expensive one.

And for the record, I recently bought Colt that I shoot just as well, or poorly.
I'm a major fan and supporter of the turk and flip 1911 markets. I think you'll find the majority if not all here are too. I'm actually looking at picking up one of the very same, commander model, here in the near future.