Cheap is good enough - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cheap is good enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
...a $125 HiPoint will kill a person just as dead as a Kimber and for about a tenth of the cost
True, only you're never 100% sure if it'll be the shooter or the shootee.
lorcin-9mm-royal-armouries-leeds.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-14-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #32

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Some would argue that a $100 dollar High Point can get you killed as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If someone's on a tight budget, (and I know about budgets) I suggest they buy the best quality used handgun they can afford. There are excellent quality used handguns out there that can be had for a fraction of their cost new. If the buyer is unfamiliar with handguns, they should have someone accompany them who knows guns. There's a bunch of used S&W .38's at bargain basement prices and they won't be undergunned with practice and the right ammunition. That's just one example. There's all types of agency trade in's that have been carried a lot, so they may not be pretty, but they haven't hardly been fired at all.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #34

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If someone's on a tight budget, (and I know about budgets) I suggest they buy the best quality used handgun they can afford. There are excellent quality used handguns out there that can be had for a fraction of their cost new. If the buyer is unfamiliar with handguns, they should have someone accompany them who knows guns. There's a bunch of used S&W .38's at bargain basement prices and they won't be undergunned with practice and the right ammunition. That's just one example. There's all types of agency trade in's that have been carried a lot, so they may not be pretty, but they haven't hardly been fired at all.
Police trade ins are a great example of fine quality used handguns. Glocks around 350! Sigs about 400. Also if you can find a dealer who brokers police confiscated firearms you've found the Holy grail. They can be a mix, but there are some gems for sure!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Was it you that had the insta-rust Kimber? Somebody on hear was NOT HAPPY about that one.

It occurs to me that all of my pistols would be considered "value brands" with the possible exception of the CZ75b that i picked up used while buying my Ruger GP100.
No, mine was the 'wouldn't feed the last round from any magazine' Kimber. I sent it back to their master gunsmith after break-in and it came back worse. It still wouldn't feed the last round, but it made up for it by doubling up a couple times per magazine. I sent it back again and it still wouldn't feed the last round, but now it wouldn't go into battery for the first half of the magazine. It made no difference what brand magazine I used in it. Pure junk.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What one can "afford" is an entirely relative concept.

A guy who makes $25K/yr, rides his bike to and from work, and maybe even lays down 100 miles a week just for pleasure...might reasonably afford to spend $2-3K on a bicycle. A guy making $100K+, who occasionally goes out for a relaxing ride might not feel like he can afford a $600 bike. It all boils down to perspective and priorities.

I can afford to spend on solid guns. That has as much to do with my priorities as my income. If a Hi-Point was all I could afford, then that's what I'd have. And I'd find a way to tune it into a gun I could have a great deal of confidence in. If I could only have a few hundred bucks worth of guns in my home, I might start with a budget pump 12ga, followed by a Hi-Point and a 10/22.

There a lot of highly functional pistols, shotguns, and rifles out there for $100-300. I believe Hi-Point offers a tremendous "value" for the dollars spent. But I'm not sure I feel the same about many of the Raven/Jennings/Davis/Ring of Fire/blinged out 25acp & 32acp types.

Buy the best you can afford. An extremely limited budget is all the more reason for careful research.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I look at it this way.
If I thought my life was only worth $150, then I would use a $150 firearm to use in self-defense.

Because I think of myself of being worth more, I want the best dern thing available to use with the best accessories that have a proven track record.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #38

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The concept I keep in mind with inexpensive guns is to find the "best value." That means the highest performance / most reliable for a certain price point. If you manage to find that gun, then the the the next step is to test the performance and reliabilty. If you're confident in the reliability and accuracy then you've gotten the best value.

If you can't prove the gun as being reliable and accurate - then you've wasted your money no matter how inexpensive the gun.

As for people who own expensive guns being snobs - my observation is that there is an equal amount of reverse snobbery directed at people who own expensive guns.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #39

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I look at it this way.
If I thought my life was only worth $150, then I would use a $150 firearm to use in self-defense.

Because I think of myself of being worth more, I want the best dern thing available to use with the best accessories that have a proven track record.
I feel the same way-
Thing is, i think most say "A hi-point (ect) is all i can afford"
When they really mean is at that time it's all i can afford-
>Save a little longer
>Sell something you don't want or need
>Borrow a little money
>Trade up
Every gun i buy i feel its a investment -Any well respected firearm is - low end firearms may serve the purpose but its not a investment, not a good one anyway---Life or money wise---- Just my thinking

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I see nothing wrong with a Hi Point for someone that has experience with firearms. The biggest problem you will have with a Hi Point is the magazine needs to be filed down. The Hi Point is much more reliable than a lot of guns that cost five or ten times more.

All over Ohio they have a IDPA type league for only Hi Points. They are low budget and a lot of fun. If these leagues were popular around here I would shoot in them every weekend. These shooters score very well and these leagues attract a lot of female shooters.

I really don't care about trophies and all that mess. Everything I have won recently I have left it at the club house so the manager can show off stuff his students have won.