Cheap is good enough - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cheap is good enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Any gun is better than no gun, a $125 HiPoint will kill a person just as dead as a Kimber and for about a tenth of the cost

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

There are deals to be had if one is willing to find them.

What I don't understand is those who will "never buy a used gun, it has to be NIB".

They don't know how much they could be saving.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #23

Liked 492 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Just to emphasize, I'm too new here to really say I see much snobbishness at this forum. But I have known quite a few gun owners that turn their nose up at "budget shoppers" and think it's foolishness not to go for the best.

On the flip-side, I see nothing wrong with owning a SIG P226. Damn fine gun and maybe someday I'll have one of my own.

I'm not a big fan of used myself but I wouldn't pass it up either. I just don't have good luck with used, whether it be guns or cars.

At the same time, one of my best guns is used. Passed down from my father. Really a testament to how timeless a gun can be with basic care.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1509 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There are deals to be had if one is willing to find them.

What I don't understand is those who will "never buy a used gun, it has to be NIB".

They don't know how much they could be saving.
In this area I can buy a new gun for the same price as a used gun. The only deals are on BAR's of different calibers. Changes in hunting laws induced a lot of hunters to trade their BAR for a light weight bolt action. In turn, every gun shop has over 10 used BAR's they need to move. BAR's are not moving that well because you can buy a new AR-10 with the same money. Younger hunters are more attracted to the AR-10. Older hunters have a gun and aren't interested in buying anything.

This summer I bought a new P95. I saw the same gun priced as high as $350 used. Some of the used guns included a holster but they were $20 Blackhawk holsters, not like they were including a $100+ custom leather holster. I got a new P95 for $327 NIB plus FFL.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

I bought a used Ed Brown that included shoulder rig, IWB holster, extra mag carrier, 3 mags, and a box of ammo for $1800.
That is considerably less than a new Ed Brown for the gun alone. $2745.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

It depends on the usage. I see a lot of cheap guns that dont run well or function well at the range and the owner will tell everyone in earshot about how great it is (happens a lot with clones of military firearms) just as often as the guy with the pricey gun doing the same thing.

As a moderator here ive had to jump in between the two types and mete out justice for disturbing the peace. So ive seen it all.

When it comes to my personal gear i buy what works. I also take chances from time to time on some gear and guns. If it works well it stays if not out it goes.

Im an advocate of buy the best you can afford and if the best is out of the price range look it for it slightly used or save a little longer.

Best is not always a function of price.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #27

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I bought a used Ed Brown that included shoulder rig, IWB holster, extra mag carrier, 3 mags, and a box of ammo for $1800.
That is considerably less than a new Ed Brown for the gun alone. $2745.
I've found there are two things mandatory in locating a "deal" on the gun you want-
Patience & Perseverance

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Not accusing the members here or anything, but I have been exposed to a certain snobbishness in the past towards people who choose a gun for price reasons. Personally, I think you can find a good compromise between cost and quality without buying junk, but here is an article from Massad Ayoob that I found interesting -

Cheap guns are good enough

I completely subscribe to the school of thought that the best gun of all time is the one in your hand.

This is something I keep in mind on those occasions when someone asks me about gun purchasing advice. I don't tell them to go out and buy Hi-Points, but you don't need an HK either.

Hell, if all you can afford is a Hi-Point, it's a fair sight better than nothing at all. Not knocking Hi-points, but I'm not a fan of straight blowback for full combat calibers.
The most expensive handgun I ever bought was also the biggest piece of junk I ever bought. Kimber eventually bought it back from me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
The most expensive handgun I ever bought was also the biggest piece of junk I ever bought. Kimber eventually bought it back from me.
Was it you that had the insta-rust Kimber? Somebody on hear was NOT HAPPY about that one.

It occurs to me that all of my pistols would be considered "value brands" with the possible exception of the CZ75b that i picked up used while buying my Ruger GP100.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #30

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

It's just squeaky wheeling man. Simple as that. Exaggeration and frantic over-the-topization. Until one can prove mathematically that an SNS gun is more prone to malfunction or have "catastrophic failure" (love that one... hyperbole finds its way into everything) I think they should just relax.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that if actual numbers were taken we'd find that the percent of SNS guns failed from those sold is less than that of high regard; the number of people killed or injured from a so called ROF manufactured handgun is less than that of a Colt or Remington or etc... There are stupid people of every social class and financial categorization.

That's my take.