cheap .22 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > cheap .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
If I could find a heritage for under $100 used I Would jump on it for sure.
I had the chance to buy a long barrel 9"? With adj sights for just over 100 but I didn't have the cash at the moment, the next day the guy had already gotten rid of it. They pop up all the time around here for 100-125 used.

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #32

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Gen Pat is using hyperbole very well!

All I recommended here is what I know and have heard from sources I trust. I don't trust Pat, consider his advice based on dodgy intel/logic.

But buy what you feel comfortable with, that's all I can advise and what I do myself. I'm very comfortable with almost any 22 as a plinker. Which is what I interpreted this to be.

I am just as biased as Pat, however I'm against overpricing and misinforming snobbery. To each their own man. I will say most here would disagree with me and agree with Pat. That's something to keep in mind. Sheeple come in all forms, not just anti gunners...

Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You must be like 22. Only someone of youth would use such ignorance in a part of life where bad decisions can cost someone body parts, if not their life. Yes, there are overpriced guns on the market, and many of them. Not one of the three I named are overpriced. The reason most here disagree with you is because you are buying things that are proven dangerous. To top that off you are trying to use parts not designed for them in the hopes of getting them to perform beyond their capabilities. It's dangerous, and just plain ignorant.

Also, just as small lesson in Language arts, a hyperbole is an exaggeration to create emphasis or effect. I didn't exaggerate on anything I said. It's public knowledge and available anywhere with a simple search. Or perhaps you can explain how Bryco Arms came to be, bankrupted and was reanimated over the years with different brand names. Perhaps you could get some of the disabled people who've been "accidentally" shot by those weapons to chime in.
The reason I know all this, and the reason I am tryin to educate those who even contemplate such a purchase, is because I've owned a couple of those worthless turds. In my inexperience when I first turned 21 I bought 2 of them, the lorcin and Jennings. Two giant wastes of money. Undependable, unpredictable, and can't shoot a decent group over 3 feet. I made the mistake because there wasn't anyone around to educate me otherwise. Now if I can save a few people all those issues, I will make a Dam fine effort to do so. Had I known all the things I have posted here, I would surely have passed on both of them. The only people I can even imagine tryin to sell those to others would be 1) people who will be shooting at those people, knowing they would have the tactical advantage 2) someone who works for the company selling that crap 3) someone who needs a throw down to go kill someone, who hopes the slide doesn't explode in their hand. That's' it. Those guns are good for nothing else, except maybe paperweights but their even to ugly for that.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Bryco-The first incarnation of the pot metal pistol
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2370/bryco59brokenframe.jpg
Lorcin-Same gun different name
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/647/brokenlorcin.png

Oh and, let us cite the ATF

BRYCO ARMS
Model Jennings Nine, (including the JA_NINE by Jimenez)
9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001

The facts speak well enough for themselves. I don't care for Hi Point either, but I'd say buy a Hi Point before anything designed by Bryco. At least it won't explode in your hand

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I would look at used Name-Brand guns at the LGS.
Went to my lgs today. Most people I have ever seen in there at one time lol not many good finds on .22's all though there was a beretta cougar calling my name lol I believe I may have to get one online or wait for everything to calm down before I buy anything locally

Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 534 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I have a couple of the Heritage Rough Riders with 61/2 barrels. They are fun to shoot and accurate. I'm a big fan of fixed sights, so once the gun teaches you where it wants to shoot, you'll be good to go. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #37

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenPTstud

Define your meaning of "big gun" garadex
A longer barrel and bigger grip.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #38

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenPTstud View Post
http://www.impactguns.com/phoenix-hp22a-black-hp22a-753733102335.aspx

Anyone know if these guns are any good I've shot a couple .25 autos by phoenix but not any of there .22's
That's one of my original suggestions and the one I most recommend. You can order it with an additional 5"target barrel which makes it the best of both worlds!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5952 Times on 3369 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

Keep in mind the old Italian proverb:

"Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."

And yes, Jennings, Bryco, Phoenix etc are junk. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 333 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 113

+1 on the Ruger 22/45. Might be a lil heavy for Mom but worth handling to see.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977