Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > chance to teach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default chance to teach

friend of mine had her burglar alarm go off. false alarm, but the sight of her husband wielding a golf club got her thinking it was time for more. they asked to come over and discuss guns with me. they were interested in some particular semi-autos. now i knew these pistols were unloaded but after removing them from the safe and their cases, i still pulled back the slides, removed the magazines and showed my friends that the pistols were unloaded. she snickered, shook her head and called my precautions "excessive"

a colleague has a son who asked to see some pistols. the son assured me he knew how to handle guns since he "plays lots of 'call of duty' and watches lots of t.v."

i used each occasion to patiently explain many aspects of gun ownership. i sure hope it helped!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Some of these kids playing the video games know the guns i sell better than I do, but if she thinks it's excessive, have her you-tube or google the term accidental discharge/negligent discharge, one million results of how people, even well trained, have thought it was empty.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not sure why people think you're nuts for being extra careful when handling firearms. I wonder if they would treat a chainsaw the same way? Here, let me hand you my running saw with the throttle on 3/4 while it warms up.

As for the kids....remember the tv special, "if I only had a gun" ? The kid on there thought he would be good with a pistol because he's played airsoft. It's closer then a video game but still no where near actual training with a real weapon. He looked like an idiot because he had no idea what he was doing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

the really unfortunate thing is that a good portion of non-gun owners think that a firearm is a magic wand that simply waving it in the direction of a bad guy will auto-magically make them go away. they also tend to believe that just removing a magazine makes a weapon safe and if it has been in a gun safe that also makes it safe to point at themselves and others.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Keep up the good fight ddog!

You are one of many unsung heroes never mentioned by Sarah Brady!

Props brother!

Some of my favorite quotes from Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006).

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."

“A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.”

"Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them." – To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth

“The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.”

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

You are 100% doing the right thing! Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. That would make them a fool. They will just baffle you with their ignorance!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

First rule: All guns are loaded.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams