Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   chance to teach (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/chance-teach-25273/)

ddog 03-28-2010 05:22 AM

chance to teach

friend of mine had her burglar alarm go off. false alarm, but the sight of her husband wielding a golf club got her thinking it was time for more. they asked to come over and discuss guns with me. they were interested in some particular semi-autos. now i knew these pistols were unloaded but after removing them from the safe and their cases, i still pulled back the slides, removed the magazines and showed my friends that the pistols were unloaded. she snickered, shook her head and called my precautions "excessive"

a colleague has a son who asked to see some pistols. the son assured me he knew how to handle guns since he "plays lots of 'call of duty' and watches lots of t.v."

i used each occasion to patiently explain many aspects of gun ownership. i sure hope it helped!

efaz1 03-28-2010 08:29 AM

Some of these kids playing the video games know the guns i sell better than I do, but if she thinks it's excessive, have her you-tube or google the term accidental discharge/negligent discharge, one million results of how people, even well trained, have thought it was empty.

spittinfire 03-28-2010 11:30 AM

I'm not sure why people think you're nuts for being extra careful when handling firearms. I wonder if they would treat a chainsaw the same way? Here, let me hand you my running saw with the throttle on 3/4 while it warms up.

As for the kids....remember the tv special, "if I only had a gun" ? The kid on there thought he would be good with a pistol because he's played airsoft. It's closer then a video game but still no where near actual training with a real weapon. He looked like an idiot because he had no idea what he was doing.

JonM 03-28-2010 12:36 PM

the really unfortunate thing is that a good portion of non-gun owners think that a firearm is a magic wand that simply waving it in the direction of a bad guy will auto-magically make them go away. they also tend to believe that just removing a magazine makes a weapon safe and if it has been in a gun safe that also makes it safe to point at themselves and others.

canebrake 03-28-2010 01:11 PM

Keep up the good fight ddog!

You are one of many unsung heroes never mentioned by Sarah Brady!

Props brother!

Some of my favorite quotes from Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006).
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."

“A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.”

"Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them." – To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth

“The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.”

Rick1967 03-28-2010 01:26 PM

You are 100% doing the right thing! Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. That would make them a fool. They will just baffle you with their ignorance!

CA357 03-28-2010 11:31 PM

First rule: All guns are loaded.